• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unnecessary Noise - Broken Exhaust NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

downandoutNYC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, NY

What a day. I was taking the lady out for a nice dinner with friends on valentines evening. While making a turn I hit a pot hole and all of a sudden my exhaust became very loud. As I was two blocks from my destination, and with no reasonable (safe) place to pull over, i pressed on for the short remainder. I was pulled over 50 feet from my destination. The officer issued me a summons for Unnecessary Noise. I explained the situation to the officer, who's reply to my was "Yeah, I don't know that.". I parked the car 10 feet from the where I was pulled over, crawled under my car, and with the light of my cell phone noticed that my exhaust pipe broke in between the muffler and resonator. We took a taxi home and had the car sent for repairs the next morning. 400 bucks!!!!

Now i have to appear in court. Can I plead not guilty? I am not sure what to do. It seems reasonable to me that I was acting in the spirit of the law by trying to get to a safe location to leave the car.

Please help!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

downandoutNYC

Thanks flyingron. Only in NY right? I am expecting to have to plead guilty or not guilty when facing the judge. I am not counting on being able to have any actual dialog. If I plead not guilty, do I have a case? I was driving the car albeit, and 8th of a mile. However, as its NYC my choice is to leave my car in a lane and call a tow, or to park it (when I find a space) and tow it. I opted for the latter.

Is this something that I could see a clerk about beforehand to have taken care of before a court date?

Thanks again.

You Are Guilty

With the dated repair bill and ideally, a photo of the crater you hit, I'd say you have a 50-50 shot at beating the ticket. Just hope you find the one sympathetic judge working that day. (At worst, I think they'll over you a plea deal, i.e. X% off the fine for pleading guilty.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">