• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DPOA vs Successor Trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kskram

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Father deceased, mother recently declared incapacitated. I am Trustee of parents Revocable Living Trust and a sister caring for mother is the Durable Power of Attorney. She is proposing changing the Trust to give herself our parents' house to make it fair for the years she has cared for our parents. In the Trust document the house was given to another sister in a Special Directive. Wording in the Trust is states that Special gifts cannot be amended or revoked. That notwithstanding I maintain that the wording in the Trust gave the power only to the Trustors, my parents, to make changes to their Trust, and to no other agents. Also I believe that the Trust is now irrevocable since our father is dead and our mother incapacitated. I intend to challenge, but is the Trust a strong enough document so that I as the Trustee have much chance of prevailing? I believe what my sister is proposing is unethical and certainly not what our parents wanted!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

is the Trust a strong enough document so that I as the Trustee have much chance of prevailing?
Since no one here has read the trust document, no one can say for sure. The best guess is probably. See a trust attorney.

Kiawah

Might also want to read the language of the POA. Depending who wrote it, it may have language restricting the gifting of assets to the POA, by the POA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">