• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operating unlicensed vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkcaro129

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I got a ticket for "operating unlicensed vehicle", I want to know if this is a moving violation? If it is not, should I just pay for the ticket, does this affect my insurance rate to go up? Or should I go to court by myself? I bought a new car from Honda 2 months after i got this ticket, I thought they took care of my registration and tag. There were some misunderstanding between the Dealership and myself, therefore in result to this citation.

FlyingRon

Viriginia considers it a traffic infraction (they do not use the term moving violation) for simple failure to have tags (no tags, expired). It's a misdemeanor if they are stolen, forged, cancelled/suspended/revoked, or fraudulently obtained. You will get 3 points from the DMV for it.

As for your insurance companies classification of the offense you will have to ask them. Same as whether they'll raise your rates.

FlyingRon

How should I know?

Are you guilty?

Is there some reason you can come up with a better outcome than just paying the fine if you were to go to court? Would a lawyer help there.

You've got nothing to lose in court other than wasting your time. You might be able to get a deferral while you take driving school if your record is otherwise clean.

As for your insurance...call the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">