• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Many Times Can A Defendant Motion to Mitigate/Reduce Sentence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cctampa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a victim of a felony/misdemeanor case. The defendent took a plea deal and is currently serving a year in prison. Sentencing was done in January, the defendant was sent to prison, and the case was wrapped up in February. Since then, the defendant has already filed one motion to reduce his sentence- the judge denied it. A week later, the defendant filed another motion to reduce his sentence and is appearing in court later this month. Since being sentenced he has already filed two motions to reduce his sentence, in the period of just a month. The fact that he is allowed to keep appearing before the judge and ask for less time, and the possibility of his getting out of prison earlier than what was sentenced, is causing me stress. My question is, how many times is a defendent allowed to file a motion to the court to mitigate/reduce sentence? Is there anything I can do as the victim of the case to stop that? Thankyou for your response.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">