• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a time limit to be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ah541

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
The local police searched, found illegal drugs,confiscated guns and drugs, released the man and his wife after about 8 hours but never charged them with any crime at all. Is there some kind of time frame that the cops have to charge someone? It's nerve wracking not to know but we don't want to call and ask either for obvious reasons.I have been reading all the posts but none really answer this for me. p.s.We have been angels since then. thanks, joyce

FlyingRon

They have a long time to charge you. You can probably count on it seeing how they have the evidence in their possession. The wheels of justice are not that speedy.

racer72

A lot will depend on what the eventual charges are, it could be as little as one year for a misdemeanor or there could be no statute of limitations.

CdwJava

I'd say these are felonies - the state has three years to file in most such cases.

There could be many reasons why you have not been charged, yet. It might behoove you to consult an attorney now ... just in case.

- Carl

ah541

RE;a time limit to be charged

Thanks for the info, yes they are felonies and it has been just over a year since it happened. I had figured that they had a year to charge us but that wasn't based on anything but a hunch or perhaps wishful thinking. Yes, I will get a consult to check it out for sure. I appreciate your inputs though. Jh

CdwJava

I'd suspect they are waiting for more, or, there is something wrong with the case. So, if you have turned a new cheek and are now running clean and legal, you may have nothing to worry about. If you are still playing fast and loose with the law, you can bet that they will eventually get what they need and one day all of this may come crashing back upon you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">