• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inspection ticket-NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oznyc

NY- I received a parking ticket for expired inspection while my car was in the care of a mechanic. My car broke down 2 days before the inspection expired. When the mechanic received the car from his towing company, it was already about 4 days in on the expiration. The mechanic had the car for three weeks and I didnt have him do the work because the work the car needed was covered by my warranty from the dealer. I received in the mail that this ticket was in default. I never knew about the ticket, the mechanic didnt tell me about it. My question is " Is he responsible for the ticket or not?"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NY- I received a parking ticket for expired inspection while my car was in the care of a mechanic. My car broke down 2 days before the inspection expired. When the mechanic received the car from his towing company, it was already about 4 days in on the expiration. The mechanic had the car for three weeks and I didnt have him do the work because the work the car needed was covered by my warranty from the dealer. I received in the mail that this ticket was in default. I never knew about the ticket, the mechanic didnt tell me about it. My question is " Is he responsible for the ticket or not?"
Why would he be responsible for you not properly registering your vehicle? :confused:

You Are Guilty

Actually he might be - if, and pretty much only if, your agreement with the mechanic included a provision that your car would not be stored on a public street. Absent that, you may argue your way out of the late fees with the mechanic-did-it defense, but you'll likely have to pay the ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually he might be - if, and pretty much only if, your agreement with the mechanic included a provision that your car would not be stored on a public street. Absent that, you may argue your way out of the late fees with the mechanic-did-it defense, but you'll likely have to pay the ticket.
OP's car got the ticket BEFORE the mechanic took possession - at least, that's my take on it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">