• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking violation from private parking facility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sloanjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I received yesterday a collection notice from an attorney for Central Parking, attempting to extract $20 from me for a September 2005 violation at a Central Parking facility in Denver. The letter asserts that I did not leave appropriate funds in the payment box at the parking lot.

I'm inclined to pay this because it's entirely possible that I or my wife didn't put money in the box (can't remember), but I'm wondering if a private parking company (not a government entity) can claim payment after such a long period of time.

coticket

Central Parking ticket claimed from 09/2005

I too recently received a letter like this from an attorney claiming I owe $20 for a parking violation at Central Parking in Denver on 9/3/2005. I can honestly say that I usually pay and am honest about putting money in the parking box. It seems strange that 3 years later I suddenly get a notice that I didn't pay. I have never received any notice of this parking violation until now and my address has been available, so it isn't like they couldn't locate me. I also do not recall having a ticket on my window. I disputed the violation and received a second letter with what looks like a copy of the ticket including a parking violation number. Anywhere I can look up this number and verify that this was actually issued on dates claimed? Any legal thoughts on this?

patstew

If they sent you a copy of the ticket, then you know the issuing entity. Call them.

Both of you getting bills for September sounds suspicious, but it could be they're cleaning up the database and bringing in what revenue they can. On the other hand, it's such a small amount for a three-year-old ticket, it makes me wonder if it's a scam and people will pay it just to get rid of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">