• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defendant Right at Motion to Suppress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimisue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My son's attorney filed a motion to suppress on misd. charges. My son did not sign a waiver of his presence & never was involved with this proceeding. The only thing we heard was on the day in court his attorney came back into the audience & whispered to him that they had a right to search his car because of the smell of marijuana. Apparently this motion was heard but not in his presence.

He has since been sentenced under first offender, but I have a serious question about a motion to suppress being heard without his presence & with no waiver of presence. Isn't this a violation of rights, possibly under McGinnis v. State, 208 Ga. App. 354? Does he have any recourse at this point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">