• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone with a warrant sleeping over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savagehart37

I live in michigan. My boyfriend was recently taken to jail because he was unemployed and could not pay child support. he failed to change his address in the right way (he called his representative instead of putting it in writing) and because of the wrong address he didn't get a summons to a child support hearing. there was a warrant put out for him and he got picked up a week ago.

Now my mother heard something on the radio about a prank call type deal. a girl found out recently that her boyfriend (who was living with her) has written some bad checks and had a warrant and she wanted to mess with him on the radio. they prank called him and found out he was cheating, blah blah.

Skipping to the point, someone called in and told the DJs that the girl could technically go to jail because she was "harboring a fugitive" or something like that. my boyfriend has stayed over at our house quite a few times. so my mom (believing everything she hears on the radio) says "he cant stay over anymore". because she things that would be breaking the law.

I told her that i didnt think that sounded correct. if someone came to our house looking for him and we hid him, that would be different. But logically that doesnt sound right to me. especially because he will no longer have a warrent once he gets out of jail, and im pretty sure this experience will make him change so it wont happen again.

Is my mom just overreacting? or is it dangerous for my boyfriend to stay over?

Antigone*

I live in michigan. My boyfriend was recently taken to jail because he was unemployed and could not pay child support. he failed to change his address in the right way (he called his representative instead of putting it in writing) and because of the wrong address he didn't get a summons to a child support hearing. there was a warrant put out for him and he got picked up a week ago.

Now my mother heard something on the radio about a prank call type deal. a girl found out recently that her boyfriend (who was living with her) has written some bad checks and had a warrant and she wanted to mess with him on the radio. they prank called him and found out he was cheating, blah blah.

Skipping to the point, someone called in and told the DJs that the girl could technically go to jail because she was "harboring a fugitive" or something like that. my boyfriend has stayed over at our house quite a few times. so my mom (believing everything she hears on the radio) says "he cant stay over anymore". because she things that would be breaking the law.

I told her that i didnt think that sounded correct. if someone came to our house looking for him and we hid him, that would be different. But logically that doesnt sound right to me. especially because he will no longer have a warrent once he gets out of jail, and im pretty sure this experience will make him change so it wont happen again.

Is my mom just overreacting? or is it dangerous for my boyfriend to stay over?
How old are you? Do you live at home with your parents?

CdwJava

You ARE a legal adult, right? You are 18 years of age or older?

While it is unlikely that you or your mom can be arrested for harboring a fugitive if you take no affirmative action to conceal his presence, it is possible that the police will pay special attention to you because he shows up there. if they start looking for him, they might decide that you and mom would be good targets for frequent traffic stops to see if he is with you, or for surveillance to see if he shows up. And, if he's concealing stolen property, drugs, etc., you might find yourself subject to a search warrant to look for those things (provided he is in to any of that).

- Carl

CourtClerk

If I were your mother, I would be wondering more about why your self esteem is so low that you find it completely acceptable to date/sleep with someone who doesn't adequately support their children, but has time for a new bedmate. Why you don't believe you deserve so much better in life...

I know, we don't know the whole story. He really is a great person and the mother of his child set him up. :rolleyes:

savagehart37

You ARE a legal adult, right? You are 18 years of age or older?

While it is unlikely that you or your mom can be arrested for harboring a fugitive if you take no affirmative action to conceal his presence, it is possible that the police will pay special attention to you because he shows up there. if they start looking for him, they might decide that you and mom would be good targets for frequent traffic stops to see if he is with you, or for surveillance to see if he shows up. And, if he's concealing stolen property, drugs, etc., you might find yourself subject to a search warrant to look for those things (provided he is in to any of that).

- Carl
All that for just missing a child support hearing?!

and while im not leaving him blameless in this, its not that he's just some deadbeat...we both went thru divorces. i moved back in with my parents. (im 24 by the way)

his ex took both cars they had and left him with nothing. he had to quit his job because he had no way to get to work. he also moved back in with his parents because she left him with nothing. he sleeps over sometimes because its just easier to spend time together that way. and because he sleeps on a cot in the living room at his parent house...he can at least sleep on a couch at my place. and because he has no car and i have to pick him up, its easier to spend time together "in bulk".

and i dont know if any of you have heard how bad it is in michigan...but it is all but impossible to find a job here. the whole "oh unemployment is up, blah blah"...that doesnt even come CLOSE. you have no idea how many places he has applied at and how many resumes he's sent out. especially since he has to find a place he can walk to.

CdwJava

All that for just missing a child support hearing?!
No. Just saying that if they want him on a warrant and they believe you're hiding him, they COULD do a lot of things. Whether they will care or not is something I can't answer.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">