• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Marijuana Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DG_Jimson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I have a very interesting issue that needs addressed. I live with a roommate who smokes marijuana. I myself do not. He used to smoke outside but is now smoking in his room. We live in a an apartment complex so I am not sure if the neighbors can smell the smoke.

I have told him that this needs to stop because I can be charged with possession since both of our names are on the lease. If I am charged, I will lose my job and will have to pay my loans back immediately without the possibility of receiving more in the future. My future and everything I have worked for would end.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this true that I can get into legal trouble even if I claim that I his habit was unknown to me? (I spend very little time at the apartment and he confines himself to his room.)

2. Is a complaint from a neighbor enough probable cause to enter my apartment?

3. If a police officer does show up at my door, should I open it and speak with them?

I would hate to narc on my friend and have been thinking of breaking my lease and moving out. I feel I can blackmail him into covering my half of the rent with the threat of calling the cops or telling his parents...

Please help. I am desperate and in need of some sound advice. My parents are currently contacting a lawyer to see what my options are.

DG JimsonWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

I live with a roommate who smokes marijuana. I myself do not. He used to smoke outside but is now smoking in his room. We live in a an apartment complex so I am not sure if the neighbors can smell the smoke.
Very bad place to be using drugs that neighbors can smell ... even if the cops do not get called, the landlord/management can probably boot you both out because of the drug use.

I have told him that this needs to stop because I can be charged with possession since both of our names are on the lease. If I am charged, I will lose my job and will have to pay my loans back immediately without the possibility of receiving more in the future. My future and everything I have worked for would end.
Have you considered moving if he doesn't stop or leave?

1. Is this true that I can get into legal trouble even if I claim that I his habit was unknown to me? (I spend very little time at the apartment and he confines himself to his room.)
Yes, you CAN get in trouble. There's no way to say whether you WILL get in trouble without knowing the circumstances and nature of the "trouble" you or he might be in later on. But, usually the plea of, "I was dumb as a stump and didn't know what he was doing," doesn't fly too far.

2. Is a complaint from a neighbor enough probable cause to enter my apartment?
By itself, for the police? No. But, the management might decide to get nosy. And the police might come knocking if they get a complaint.

3. If a police officer does show up at my door, should I open it and speak with them?
That's up to you. But, if they smell the aromatic clouds of THC laden smoke, they might be able to act upon that. Since I am not aware of the statuts of marijuana laws in Iowa, I don't know if they would be able to make entry if they believed marijuana was being used, but even if they couldn't you can bet that you and your roomie would suddenly have a nice label attached to your names.

I would hate to narc on my friend and have been thinking of breaking my lease and moving out. I feel I can blackmail him into covering my half of the rent with the threat of calling the cops or telling his parents...
Maybe. On the other hand, extortion is a serious crime and if he's willing to cop to smoking the dope to get you tossed in the clink for extortion ... well ...

But, if you put it to him bluntly, stop smoking or I am calling the cops, that's not likely going to be extortion. Asking him for rent money or you'll call the cops ... well, THAT likely WOULD be extortion.

Please help. I am desperate and in need of some sound advice. My parents are currently contacting a lawyer to see what my options are.
I'd listen to the lawyer.

- Carl

DG_Jimson

I don't think the landlord will be an issue. Her grandson is my roommate's dealer..

I have put myself in a very odd/difficult situation. If I break my lease by telling my landlord that we just don't get along anymore, will I have to cover my half of the rent for the duration of the lease? Is there any way to get out of my lease without turning him in? I have been best friends with this kid for 7 years and I don't wanna ruin his life in the process or piss off his drug dealer friends and paint a target on my ass... I know I'm giving him more consideration than hes giving me and that I should probably worry about protecting myself first.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that I just need to move out to be safe. I just can't pay rent on two different apartments. Maybe I should go to his parents?

DG_Jimson

So I have talked to a lawyer friend of mine and am going to have him write up a letter to my landlord. He believes he can get me out of the lease without raising any attention to my roommate's drug habit. The only way this shouldn't work is if my roommate objects and has a legitimate problem...and I don't think me distancing myself from illegal activities will work against me. <awkward sentence.

Any thoughts?

DG

xylene

I have been best friends with this kid for 7 years
Have you tried talking honestly with the guy.

If he is your best friend he will listen and act accordingly.

Best friends don't put their friend's future on the line for pot.

If he doesn't want to stop it, then you can at least talk about getting off the lease.

If he doesn't stop toking in the residence you share or let you off the lease that speaks volumes of what he thinks of you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">