• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue for legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mynatt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

The investigator told the states attorney that my case could not go criminal because there was no evidence to support the charges. The states attorney disregarded the advice of the investigator and pressed charges anyway. After I got out of jail some weeks later, I was able to produce enough evidence and testimony to have the charges dropped. Much of this evidence was already told to both the States attorney and the investigator. Is there a way to get any of my legal fees reimbursed or to get any compensation for 3 weeks in jail?

tranquility

If the charging decision was made and the states attorney didn't have probable cause it would be malicious prosecution and you would be able to sue for your damages. What the investigator said is only one piece of evidence and you shouldn't rely on that alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">