• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Warrant for MY Arrest???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

innocentmomw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Iowa

I'm so confused. I received a letter in the mail from a law firm (Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson) saying that there was a warrant for my arrest in Humble Texas. I have never been to Humble Texas, but according to them I owe 675.00 in fines, and the letter came with a payment coupon. It says it's for a citation 120663-01, and I have 3 citations.

It is addressed to my former maiden name, I have been married for the past 10 years. .

I went to the law firm's web site, and found that it is a legitimate law firm. There are several locations. The location from which my "warrant" arrived has a satellite office in Phoenix. 15 years ago, I spent a night in jail in Tempe for shoplifting (I was young and dumb) and I never paid my fine, as I didn't live in Arizona, but was visiting. I can't imagine that would be coming back to haunt me, it has been 15 years.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

What makes you think that not residing in the state you are convicted in means you can dodge the fine? There may indeed be a warrant out for you in Arizona.

However, private law firms that troll for business like this are probably not the ones you want to deal with to resolve these sort of things. Chances are they're using some sort of computer to match up the open warrants list in Texas with public information directories and they've matched someone with a similar name.

innocentmomw

I was 18 years old when I visited Tempe and shoplifted. I spent a night in jail, and I was so scared. That morning, I went to court, and they charged me a fine. I went back home instead, and nothing ever came up of it. It was 15 years ago, and believe me, I've never stole anything else since then!!!

I guess you didn't answer my question though.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Iowa

I'm so confused. I received a letter in the mail from a law firm (Linebarger, Goggan, Blair & Sampson) saying that there was a warrant for my arrest in Humble Texas. I have never been to Humble Texas, but according to them I owe 675.00 in fines, and the letter came with a payment coupon. It says it's for a citation 120663-01, and I have 3 citations.

It is addressed to my former maiden name, I have been married for the past 10 years. .

I went to the law firm's web site, and found that it is a legitimate law firm. There are several locations. The location from which my "warrant" arrived has a satellite office in Phoenix. 15 years ago, I spent a night in jail in Tempe for shoplifting (I was young and dumb) and I never paid my fine, as I didn't live in Arizona, but was visiting. I can't imagine that would be coming back to haunt me, it has been 15 years.
Believe it or not you can still be held accountable after all that time.

I was 18 years old when I visited Tempe and shoplifted. I spent a night in jail, and I was so scared. That morning, I went to court, and they charged me a fine. I went back home instead, and nothing ever came up of it. It was 15 years ago, and believe me, I've never stole anything else since then!!!

I guess you didn't answer my question though.
Questions are generally followed by question marks. They look like this- ? - It is a helpful indication that you are indeed asking a question. From what I can tell you feel that because you were "young and dumb" it excuses your actions. Now something has surfaced as a result of your failure to meet your civic responsibility to the court.

innocentmomw

WELL, I talked to a lawyer who told me to call the municipal court in this town. It was a case of mistaken identity. The person who has the warrant has the same name as me, but a different birthday and driver's license number. I'm alright. :D It's funny, because my name is very rare (or so I thought) and I was surprised to find that there is someone with my same name. Probably one in 300 million!!!

As far as what happened 15 years ago... CHILL OUT!!! I doubt it's even on their records anymore, it was so petty.

Nativity

WELL, I talked to a lawyer who told me to call the municipal court in this town. It was a case of mistaken identity. The person who has the warrant has the same name as me, but a different birthday and driver's license number. I'm alright. :D It's funny, because my name is very rare (or so I thought) and I was surprised to find that there is someone with my same name. Probably one in 300 million!!!

As far as what happened 15 years ago... CHILL OUT!!! I doubt it's even on their records anymore, it was so petty.
I find it scary that as a Mom you find spending an evening in Jail as petty. Especially when most people go their entire lives without ever spending even a second near or in one.

cyjeff

Search these boards.

You will find MANY people that are having old warrants come back to bite them DECADES after they thought they had avoided penalty.

As computer systems improve, so does the likelihood that this will come back to bite you... complete with the original fine, interest and penalties.

There is someone on here with a nine thousand dollar bill for parking tickets...

outonbail

I have a driver who has had a valid license for the past seventeen years. Two months ago the DMV would not allow him to renew it because of an old traffic violation in Arizona.
As cities and counties are struggling to survive the financial crisis many are faced with, they begin to look deeper into uncollected fines and penalties.

If you have discovered this was a case of mistaken identity, I would suggest that you respond to the demand letter and inform them of the mistake. Send your reply certified mail so you have proof of responding to the collection notice.

Don't just toss the demand in the trash, or you may be dealing with this situation for years to come!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">