• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonus Past Due/California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcwilson

I have been working for this Company for 4+ years. When I was hired, part of my benefits are a annual bonus. To be paid in March every year. This bonus is based off of paid orders for my territory. My first year I was given 5K, second year was 6K and my third and fourth year have not been paid to me. I keep getting the "run around" from my superiors. This benefit is in writing to me and the company will not/has not paid me. What do I need to do?

L

loku

Nonpayment of bonuses

You can contact your state Department of Labor or employment to get verification of your state's regulations on what you can do. Quite possibly, you probably can put a lien on his business for back wages owed. If you record the lien, your former boss must also pay for a lien release that he can record. Your second step then is to march into his office and demand the check, while explaining to him the ramifications of a lien on his business. It is quite possible that he will write out a check.

If the state Department of Labor or employment does not handle this in your state, you could sue the employer in contract. If the benefit is due you and there is a written contract, you should have no problem in court. As an alternative to court, you could have a lawyer write a letter to the employer explaining your side. Sometimes that works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">