• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase of stolen goods now getting charged for a felony!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metalfinger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I bought a laptop and found out it was stolen yesterday when the cops came to my house to question me. They say they wanna charge me with a felony but they didnt take me in. They got the property back and im out my money Help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

You are being charged with a felony. Your best advice at this point is to stop talking to the police and get a lawyer.

You say that you "found out it was stolen yesterday" when the police took it. Are you sure that you had no idea before that? Was the price very low? Did person you bought it from know how to use it? Did they explain where they got it and why they were selling it?

The police will say that you should have known it was stolen. Sit with your lawyer and determine the best defense for this charge.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I bought a laptop and found iout it was stolen yesterday when the cops came to my house to question me. They say they wanna charge me with a felony but they didnt take me in. They got the property back and im out my money Help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you didn't know the laptop was stolen, I recommend you file a police report against the person that sold it to you and the pursue civil remedy in small claims court for the amount of the laptop.

Now, this assumes that you didn't know the laptop was stolen... including if you paid a stupidly low amount of money for it.

cyjeff

In consideration of the other posters words, I recommend the call to the lawyer first... to the police second.

metalfinger

I found the seller on craigslist. all i have is his name and description. i paid cash for the laptop and yes it was cheap but in this economy so is just about everything for private sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">