• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jay walking vegas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancy a

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My daughter just turned 21, was thrown in vegas county jail, charged with jay walking, harassed thought she was a prostitute, She was alone at the Circus Circus parking lot. She was held for 5 hours and had to walk back to the strip at 4 am, she is very upset. they told her to come back July 6 th, For Jaywalking?? What should we do??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My daughter just turned 21, was thrown in vegas county jail, charged with jay walking, harassed thought she was a prostitute, She was alone at the Circus Circus parking lot.
There is a section of parking lot for trucks to park which is a favorite hang out area for lot lizards. This is probably why the police were suspicious and believed her to be a working girl. I don't know why else she would be working, or rather, walking the parking lot. However if they had any proof that she was trying to sell herself for some fast cash, they would have charged her with prosecution. They don't play games out in Vegas.
Additionally, if she was charged with Jay walking, she must have left the parking lot in a hurry after seeing the police, or in a way which looked suspicious to the police.
My guess is that she was intoxicated to a noticeable degree and brought in for being drunk and unable to care for herself. When she sobered up, they released her and cited her with the lesser charge of jaywalking. If they were only going to charge her with jaywalking to begin with, they would have cited her and then sent her on her way. They would not have locked her up unless she had outstanding warrants, refused to sign the citation or possibly if she was extremely obnoxious with the officers.
What was she doing alone in the Circus Circus parking lot to begin with?
She was held for 5 hours and had to walk back to the strip at 4 am, she is very upset. they told her to come back July 6 th, For Jaywalking??
First of all, she didn't have to walk back to the strip. The bus runs from down town to the end of the strip every ten minutes. Whenever someone is released from jail, they can simply show their release papers and they are given a free day pass. But she would have had to wait until I believe seven AM when they busses start running. She chose to walk.

She can probably contact the court for fine information and mail in the fine. I don't believe the charge requires her physical appearance unless she plans on pleading not guilty and fighting the charges. If she does wish to fight the citation, she can appear as scheduled, plead not guilty and receive a new court date to return on. Usually 30 days subsequent to her pleading not guilty.
What should we do??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You don't have to do anything, your daughter is an adult and she is the one who must deal with the issue.

But I wouldn't lose much sleep over this jay-walking incident, it's not going to stop her from qualifying for a job or make her look like a criminal on a future background check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">