• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Resident buying Minnesota Real Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sesutter

I have a question about the implications of a California resident purchasing a condo in Minneapolis. My mother, a California resident, has cash in the family's Revocable Trust which she would like to use to purchase a condo in Minneapolis for me to live in - meaning the title of condo would be in the Trust's name, not mine or hers as individuals. I would be living in the property, and would be held financially responsible for property taxes and HOAs.

My questions are:
1. Will Minnesota allow me/my mother to homestead the property?
2. What are the tax consequences of a California resident owning Minnesota property?

I might be missing crucial information in order for someone to answer those questions. Feel free to ask questions.
Thank you!!

HomeGuru

I have a question about the implications of a California resident purchasing a condo in Minneapolis. My mother, a California resident, has cash in the family's Revocable Trust which she would like to use to purchase a condo in Minneapolis for me to live in - meaning the title of condo would be in the Trust's name, not mine or hers as individuals. I would be living in the property, and would be held financially responsible for property taxes and HOAs.

My questions are:
1. Will Minnesota allow me/my mother to homestead the property?
2. What are the tax consequences of a California resident owning Minnesota property?

I might be missing crucial information in order for someone to answer those questions. Feel free to ask questions.
Thank you!!

**A: please post on the Tax Law forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">