• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicapped Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GrandScorp

Hello,

I live in NY state.

Today I dropped my wife off at a market to pick up a couple of things. The parking lot was full (it's frequently really overcrowded) and I stupidly parked in a handicapped parking space (but stayed in the car).

Within a minute or two, a cop rolled up. Of course, I immediately asked if I could move but he said it was too late (no warning was given) and I was written a ticket for a large fine.

Believe me, I would never leave my car unattended in a handicapped spot.

Do you think that because I didn't leave it unattended that I could possibly knock down the fine if I went to court?

Thanks for your time

HomeGuru

Hello,

I live in NY state.

Today I dropped my wife off at a market to pick up a couple of things. The parking lot was full (it's frequently really overcrowded) and I stupidly parked in a handicapped parking space (but stayed in the car).

Within a minute or two, a cop rolled up. Of course, I immediately asked if I could move but he said it was too late (no warning was given) and I was written a ticket for a large fine.

Believe me, I would never leave my car unattended in a handicapped spot.

Do you think that because I didn't leave it unattended that I could possibly knock down the fine if I went to court?

Thanks for your time
**A: you were not allowed to park in that period. Attended or unattended vehicle is not relevant. Read the law.

BL

Your vehicle was parked there period .

A truly handicapped driver had no way of parking in the spot , and certainly do not entertain the though of " well if one ask me to move I could have " .

GrandScorp

HomeGuru: That's why I asked. It should definitely be relevant.

BL: Of course, I could have moved. I WAS STILL IN THE CAR (an important distinction here). My mother actually has a disability and has handicapped plates. Her horn functions properly. There is no correlation there.

I'm clearly in the wrong but the fine was excessive ($180). I'm fairly certain there was no harm or inconvenience caused.

Of course, these sort of high fines (for particular situations like this) are a cash cow and do not really serve to help anyone. Warnings are a thing of the past in this economy.

FlyingRon

No, unless they fine people aggressively people like you figure theirs little risk to occupy spaces that are needed for the physically challenged.

What you think the penalty should be is distinct from what the duly constituted legislature mandates.

justalayman

GrandScorp;2208347]HomeGuru: That's why I asked. It should definitely be relevant.
why should it be relevent? The law says you cannot park in a HC spot unless you have the proper documentation. Unless you had that plaquard, you did not have the proper docs to park there.

BL: Of course, I could have moved. I WAS STILL IN THE CAR (an important distinction here). My mother actually has a disability and has handicapped plates. Her horn functions properly. There is no correlation there.
and the driver in the HC car is supposed to know you aren;t supposed to be parked there and they can then walk up to you and ask you to move? Start thinking because you surely aren't showing the brain is working right about now.

I'm clearly in the wrong but the fine was excessive ($180). I'm fairly certain there was no harm or inconvenience caused.
Dang guy, thats cheap compared to some places. I have seen tickets well over $300 for such tickets and yes, there was harm caused. You broke the law.

Of course, these sort of high fines (for particular situations like this) are a cash cow and do not really serve to help anyone. Warnings are a thing of the past in this economy.
Wake up!!! You broke the law. There are no requirements in the law to "warn" you or kiss your ass and ask you to move if you do not belong in the spot. Learn the law; respect the law; follow the law.

It would have saved you $180 in this situation.

GrandScorp

Ok, the serial inconveniencer of the handicapped has been sufficiently dressed down.

I am unemployed so it stings more than usual and I opted to vent some without checking the tenor of the board. My bad.

Lesson definitely learned. I hope you all don't run into any situations where you feel compelled to ask for advice here.

Last edited:

BL

Ok, the serial inconveniencer of the handicapped has been sufficiently dressed down.

I am unemployed so it stings more than usual and I opted to vent some without checking the tenor of the board. My bad.

Lesson definitely learned. I hope you all don't run into any situations where you feel compelled to ask for advice here.
Well if the fine stings more than usual , you should have taken even greater precautions , not to eat into household finances .

NY has gotten very stringent , and up the fines in handicap parking spaces .

Your theory of no one pays attention to warning signs these days if off .

Not everyone disregards them .

AHA

I hope you all don't run into any situations where you feel compelled to ask for advice here.
What is it you are here for? You broke the law, came on a LEGAL advice board, were told you broke the law, and then you criticize the board!
If you want tears of support and to sing songs about how unfair it is that poor people aren't allowed to break the law at their convenience, then you need to find a VERY different site than this one.
Have your wife take the bus to the market next time. If you can't afford to pay for your traffic violations you should not be driving (using your car costs money every minute BTW).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">