• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car "standing" in handicapped spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thank you

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

At a train station without a designated drop off area, If I pull into a handicapped spot at 6am (no other cars or traffic around), leave the engine on, run out to kiss my spouse good bye as she leaves on a train trip, is the police correct to give me a "parking offense" in a prohibited area?

thank you

the car had the engine running (not parked) and I had stopped [yes, in the handicapped spot] for a "kiss and go"

thank you

only to walk around to the other side and open the door for my spouse. I was never more than one foot away from it.

cyjeff

I don't think you can say that the car wasn't parked in a handicapped spot.

Go and fight. maybe someone won't show up.

Indiana Filer

The engine running means nothing.

Did you leave the automobile?
Actually, the question should be "Was your car in the space designated as a handicapped parking spot?"

Sounds to me, from what the OP posted, he committed the offense and was rightfully ticketed.

If there were no other cars around, why didn't he just pull into one of the non-handicapped spaces? Is he just clueless, or stupid?

SIN EATER

Your car occupied the handicap space (why cares why & how long) & you were not qualified to be there.

Yes, you should be ticketed.

cyjeff

For the record, I knew that.

I was trying to help the OP see that he really didn't have a defense to "were you not in a handicapped spot?"

AHA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

At a train station without a designated drop off area, If I pull into a handicapped spot at 6am (no other cars or traffic around), leave the engine on, run out to kiss my spouse good bye as she leaves on a train trip, is the police correct to give me a "parking offense" in a prohibited area?
It is actually possible to kiss a spouse goodbye inside the car. I do that every time my spouse is dropped off somewhere, and then he opens the door himself and gets out. Just a suggestion for next time.

cyjeff

It is actually possible to kiss a spouse goodbye inside the car. I do that every time my spouse is dropped off somewhere, and then he opens the door himself and gets out. Just a suggestion for next time.
Actually, him getting out the car wouldn't matter.

If you bring a car to a stop in a handicapped spot, you can be ticketed.

Even if.

AHA

Actually, him getting out the car wouldn't matter.

If you bring a car to a stop in a handicapped spot, you can be ticketed.

Even if.
Absolutely. I just wanted him to be aware that his reasons for getting out of the car are easily avoidable.

cyjeff

Absolutely. I just wanted him to be aware that his reasons for getting out of the car are easily avoidable.
And I agree.

sometimes, I believe half the service we provide is a guideline as to what NOT to say in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">