• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticketed while waiting for a parking spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dzkid82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY, Chinatown

On Sunday, March 1, 2009, I dropped my mother off in front of the foot clinic to see a doctor due to her debilitating foot pain which prevented her from walking far distances. After dropping her off, I circled the block a approximately 4 times to find parking. After the 4th time around the block, I saw somebody get into his car who happened to be parked in front of the foot clinic. I asked this person if he was leaving and he nodded yes. He then got out and told me to wait a minute before running into the foot clinic himself. Just then, the foot patrol officer came up to my car and wrote me a ticket for double parking and would not hear my explanation. I went to the NYC finance department to argue the ticket today, but the judge would not hear it either.

My question is: is there some precedent decision that states it is alright to double park while waiting for someone to move?; and

my second question is: medical reasons excusable for briefly double parking in front of clinic to let patient move from A to B?

my third question is: was I even "Double Parking"? I was in the car the whole time -- isn't this considered "Standing"?

I figured whether I waited momentarily in front of the clinic on the parking spot or when my mother was finished seeing the doctor; either or, I would have had to double park the vehicle at one point or another to help my mother get to the car. How good of an appeal do I have? Thanks

Last edited:

The Occultist

My question is: is there some precedent decision that states it is alright to double park while waiting for someone to move?;
Yes: you are NOT allowed to double park even if you are waiting for a valid parking spot to open up.

and

my second question is: medical reasons excusable for briefly double parking in front of clinic to let patient move from A to B?
Not unless it's an actual medical emergency. A simple trip to the doc does not qualify, I'm afraid.

my third question is: was I even "Double Parking"? I was in the car the whole time -- isn't this considered "Standing"?
If you look up legal definition, you'll find that there really is no difference between parking and standing. Obvious exceptions aside (such as a stop sign or a traffic light, etc), you are not allowed to stop except in a parking spot, which you were not doing if you were waiting for a spot to open up.

I figured whether I waited momentarily in front of the clinic on the parking spot or when my mother was finished seeing the doctor; either or, I would have had to double park the vehicle at one point or another to help my mother get to the car. How good of an appeal do I have? Thanks
Technically, your drop-off wasn't legal, and as such your pickup would not have been legal either. Your appeal will not get you anywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">