• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jtrimm

For the third time in 2 years I am a victim of fraud with some using my name and social security number. Two were cellular phones (which were resolved) and the third one was a land line telephone obtained with my name and social security number. All of these were in the state of New York.

The major telephone company in question has requested copies of driver's license, birth certificate, tax statements, W-2, bank statements and anything else which proved that I lived in Pennsylvania at the time in question. I don't like sending these copies in the mail or faxing for just anyone to see. Their attitude towards me is just like I was the criminal, not the victim. I don't know what other choice I have, if I want to get this resolved I guess I must send them. Do you have any suggestions? I am tired of the collection agency sending me letters, and the major telephone company dragging their feet. It has been three months now.

I also have a concern about my social security number since this is the third time it has happened. What recourse do I have other than to expect this to happen for the rest of my life?

racer72

This will be a pain in the bottom but you can change your SSN. Just visit your local Social Security office and fill out a form. Identity theft is a valid reason. The pain is that you will have to contact everyone that has a valid reason to have your ssn and let them know. This way if anyone tries to obtain services in the future they should be denied. Send all the info to the telephone company as requested, you may black out the first five numbers of your SSN to prevent others from seeing it. Most companies only verify the last 4 most of the time anyway.

JETX

Here is my suggestion:

Contact the creditor (phone company) and tell them that you would be glad to send them an affidavit under oath stating that the charges are not yours. That is all that is required for banks, credit cards, etc. that have been victims of fraud... it should be good enough for the phone company.

Then, in order to minimize the chances of this happening again, contact all three of the major CRA's (Credit Reporting Agencies) and ask them to put a 'Fraud Alert' in your credit file. What this does is puts them on notice that someone has been using your ID and they (the CRA) will contact you anytime someone tries to get credit in your name. About five years ago, someone 'intercepted' one of my credit cards in the mail and then, over the next two years, they tried to open 15 more accounts. The Fraud Alert put a stop to all of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">