• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newspaper article

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dariad

my daugther was murdered by her ex-boyfriend,who then killed himself, 2 weeks ago. Of course, we are broken hearted over this loss. Two days after the incident, our local newspaper printed an article on the front page and stated that my daugther was "no stranger to the legal system", cited her only arrest for failure to appear in court(florida) for a shoplifting offense when she was 18. The article also falsely stated she once called 911 and hung up. a few days later the paper published an apology to our family stating their article was in poor taste but accurate, but the damage was already done, it was as though someone tramped on our broken hearts. We didn't tell my elderly parents or other friends and family members about the shoplifting incident, her only arrest. the newspaper has also never explained why they were investigating her background, she was the victim. we are wondering if it is possible that we have grounds for a lawsuit? other families should not have to experience this type of trauma due to poor judgment. Thank you.

JETX

I am terribly sorry for your tragic loss, I know that you are absolutely devastated.

And I agree with you that the newspaper was callous and irresponsible in their reporting on your daughter. Regretfully, you cannot litigate for stupidity, and since the paper was technically correct in their report (assuming they were), their actions are protected by the First Amendment.

I am afraid that the printed public apology is all that you will be able to get from this 'yellow rag'.

D

Dariad

Thank you for your understanding and advice. I thought perhaps because the article falsely accused my daugther of dialing 911 and hanging up (a misdemeanor?)I might be able to do something. Perhaps organize a boycott . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">