• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moulyn5865

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hello,
I work at a beach resort here in the Tampa Bay area. I have a situation that I would like to get some help with.
We have an elderly women who has been staying at this property before I started working here 4 years ago. She is paying her own way and is not struggling financially at all. My problem is this. She I believe is showing signs of slowing down, meaning her mental awareness is failing. She has a hard time remembering things that are recent, but can remember things from the past right enough but that also is beginning to fail. We make sure that she gets her meals but she also is in need of medical care. I contact the Senior Services Dept. in this county and a very nice women came and seen her to which she was promptly dismissed by this women and told that she did not need their assistance that she would be flying back to New York then on to Paris in a few days. Please understand that she has been telling me this for the past 4 years. She is alone, she has no blood relatives that are alive not even an ex husband. She has a very close friend in New York that is 5 years older then she is and she was born in 1912 in Poland. They have known each other for 50 years or more but as you can tell this women in New York has no business taking on the care of her friend. She has said that if I could get her to sign a power of attorney she would do it and be sure that she was getting the care that she obviously needs. We have been looking into retirement/homes for her in the New York area but can't get her into them because we have nothing that says we can speak for her. She wants to move back to New York, and if we could we would love to see her living in the South of France again. She speaks Frence, Polish and a few other languages. She really is something to talk with and I care for her deeply, I am just at my ropes end.
In May the resort will begin remodeling. I am afraid that during and after the remodeling she will no longer be able to stay here.
I deal with her on a daily basis and I need help. I am very concerned for this womens well being. What can I do. I can't simply leave her to take care of herself, she isnt paying her bills. I have set up a few bills to be paid automatically with her permisssion, but what can I do....I am scared for her. I need to know if I could call an attorney to come and speak with her and explain to her that she needs to have this done. She still believes in her heart that she can just show up at the airport and they will whisk her past security and onto a plane. She has no concept of Sept 11 or what it takes even to get on plane now. She has lived a life of privledge and needs some help. I don't know what to do. Please help.....She needs someone to help her and take care of her. I am afraid if the State gets their hands on her they will toss her in a home and take her money from her.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hello,
I work at a beach resort here in the Tampa Bay area. I have a situation that I would like to get some help with.
We have an elderly women who has been staying at this property before I started working here 4 years ago. She is paying her own way and is not struggling financially at all. My problem is this. She I believe is showing signs of slowing down, meaning her mental awareness is failing. She has a hard time remembering things that are recent, but can remember things from the past right enough but that also is beginning to fail. We make sure that she gets her meals but she also is in need of medical care. I contact the Senior Services Dept. in this county and a very nice women came and seen her to which she was promptly dismissed by this women and told that she did not need their assistance that she would be flying back to New York then on to Paris in a few days. Please understand that she has been telling me this for the past 4 years. She is alone, she has no blood relatives that are alive not even an ex husband. She has a very close friend in New York that is 5 years older then she is and she was born in 1912 in Poland. They have known each other for 50 years or more but as you can tell this women in New York has no business taking on the care of her friend. She has said that if I could get her to sign a power of attorney she would do it and be sure that she was getting the care that she obviously needs. We have been looking into retirement/homes for her in the New York area but can't get her into them because we have nothing that says we can speak for her. She wants to move back to New York, and if we could we would love to see her living in the South of France again. She speaks Frence, Polish and a few other languages. She really is something to talk with and I care for her deeply, I am just at my ropes end.
In May the resort will begin remodeling. I am afraid that during and after the remodeling she will no longer be able to stay here.
I deal with her on a daily basis and I need help. I am very concerned for this womens well being. What can I do. I can't simply leave her to take care of herself, she isnt paying her bills. I have set up a few bills to be paid automatically with her permisssion, but what can I do....I am scared for her. I need to know if I could call an attorney to come and speak with her and explain to her that she needs to have this done. She still believes in her heart that she can just show up at the airport and they will whisk her past security and onto a plane. She has no concept of Sept 11 or what it takes even to get on plane now. She has lived a life of privledge and needs some help. I don't know what to do. Please help.....She needs someone to help her and take care of her. I am afraid if the State gets their hands on her they will toss her in a home and take her money from her.
Call Adult Protective Services. APS are different from Senior Services. APS will determine whether this lady may/may not require a guardian. APS is a division of the Department of Children & Families.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">