• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quiet Neighbors above us have turned extremely noisy after baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trishy25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi, I own a condo in NY and we have lived here for 4 years. For the past 3 1/2 years, it has been pleasant living in our condo. We own the bottom floor. The couple who lives above us is a young couple. They have lived here for about 3 years or so. Up until about 4 months ago, we used to get along with them. They would say hello and stop in our unit and chat with us. They have hardwood floors in their kitchen, bedroom and the baby's room. The only place they have carpet is their living room. Now, before they had their baby who is a year old, it was extremely quiet above us. They would apologize for ANY noise that they knew they made, whether it be they dropped something or were doing work. That is fine by us as we know we are living an apt. lifestyle and we respect them as well. We do not vaccuum our carpets underneath the baby's b/r past 7:30 PM b/c we know that is his bedtime. We try to be as respectful as we possibly can be. We have had a Bose surround sound sytem for 3 years that we barely use b/c we don't want to upset anyone. About 4 months ago, I noticed things were constantly hitting our ceiling. I had a talk with the wife and asked her if the baby was throwing stuff. She said yes, he does. She mentioned that he came across a flashlight and thought it was interesting and throws it. I asked her in pleasant tone if they could some how curb the throwing. I am not saying one item...i mean the item hits the ceiling 5x or so and it's not quiet. i asked her not to take it personal and we left on a good note. This worked for a while. After about a month, it sounded like they were moving furniture up there and got noisy again. This time, I spoke with the husband. It happend to be that after that talk, their hot water heater leaked into our unit. They were responsible for fixing our damages. After being blown off for 4 days about fixing our unit when they saw the damage and asked us to wait for them to contact someone, which they never did, i had to have a talk with them and tell them that our unit must be fixed and how we feel they have no remorse or desire to fix it. They finally called their homeowner's insurance after me having a stern talk with them (4 days after the leak). I can't tell you how much they were blowing us off in the meantime. We got our stuff fixed and everything is good in our unit now. Now, it seems the baby is dropping things on a constant basis. I feel like I live under a bowling alley and my husband and I are just losing it. We bang the ceilings when they are noisy so they can hear it. At times I totally lose it and scream at the top of my lungs something that tells them to be quiet while using profanity. It starts at 7:00 AM everyday and on workdays I come home and it's still going on until 7:30 PM. On a few occasions, they have woken us up very early with his toy with wheels over our bedroom ceiling. We are losing our minds. I am a nervous wreck. We have tried turning on the Bose, etc. Nothing works for them to subside. I have had a talk with our condo board and they said there is nothing in the bylaws which states they need carpet. I can't understand how they can let someone get away with this on an upper unit. My question is, is there anything we can do to make this stop? I am not kidding when I say we are losing our minds. On the weekends we try to stay out of the house, whcih in the same breathe is not right b/c we pay a mortgage too. It's just unbearable. Any info on what we can do will be very helpful. I feel like they are doing this on purpose to us to make us miserable. It's working if that's their goal. Our condo board is going to send them a letter next week but in the meantime, we are going nuts. Please give us some positive advice. Can we do anything personal, such as call the cops, etc. When items hit our ceiling, it sounds like bowling balls are dropping. This goes on on a daily basis. i have learned that I will never live condo style again unless there is nobody below or above me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi, I own a condo in NY and we have lived here for 4 years. For the past 3 1/2 years, it has been pleasant living in our condo. We own the bottom floor. The couple who lives above us is a young couple. They have lived here for about 3 years or so. Up until about 4 months ago, we used to get along with them. They would say hello and stop in our unit and chat with us. They have hardwood floors in their kitchen, bedroom and the baby's room. The only place they have carpet is their living room. Now, before they had their baby who is a year old, it was extremely quiet above us. They would apologize for ANY noise that they knew they made, whether it be they dropped something or were doing work. That is fine by us as we know we are living an apt. lifestyle and we respect them as well. We do not vaccuum our carpets underneath the baby's b/r past 7:30 PM b/c we know that is his bedtime. We try to be as respectful as we possibly can be. We have had a Bose surround sound sytem for 3 years that we barely use b/c we don't want to upset anyone. About 4 months ago, I noticed things were constantly hitting our ceiling. I had a talk with the wife and asked her if the baby was throwing stuff. She said yes, he does. She mentioned that he came across a flashlight and thought it was interesting and throws it. I asked her in pleasant tone if they could some how curb the throwing. I am not saying one item...i mean the item hits the ceiling 5x or so and it's not quiet. i asked her not to take it personal and we left on a good note. This worked for a while. After about a month, it sounded like they were moving furniture up there and got noisy again. This time, I spoke with the husband. It happend to be that after that talk, their hot water heater leaked into our unit. They were responsible for fixing our damages. After being blown off for 4 days about fixing our unit when they saw the damage and asked us to wait for them to contact someone, which they never did, i had to have a talk with them and tell them that our unit must be fixed and how we feel they have no remorse or desire to fix it. They finally called their homeowner's insurance after me having a stern talk with them (4 days after the leak). I can't tell you how much they were blowing us off in the meantime. We got our stuff fixed and everything is good in our unit now. Now, it seems the baby is dropping things on a constant basis. I feel like I live under a bowling alley and my husband and I are just losing it. We bang the ceilings when they are noisy so they can hear it. At times I totally lose it and scream at the top of my lungs something that tells them to be quiet while using profanity. It starts at 7:00 AM everyday and on workdays I come home and it's still going on until 7:30 PM. On a few occasions, they have woken us up very early with his toy with wheels over our bedroom ceiling. We are losing our minds. I am a nervous wreck. We have tried turning on the Bose, etc. Nothing works for them to subside. I have had a talk with our condo board and they said there is nothing in the bylaws which states they need carpet. I can't understand how they can let someone get away with this on an upper unit. My question is, is there anything we can do to make this stop? I am not kidding when I say we are losing our minds. On the weekends we try to stay out of the house, whcih in the same breathe is not right b/c we pay a mortgage too. It's just unbearable. Any info on what we can do will be very helpful. I feel like they are doing this on purpose to us to make us miserable. It's working if that's their goal. Our condo board is going to send them a letter next week but in the meantime, we are going nuts. Please give us some positive advice. Can we do anything personal, such as call the cops, etc. When items hit our ceiling, it sounds like bowling balls are dropping. This goes on on a daily basis. i have learned that I will never live condo style again unless there is nobody below or above me. Thanks in advance for your help.
When you develop a technique to stop babies from dropping things, please copywrite/trademark it, you'll be a billionaire.

nextwife

Just wait until baby gets to the Banging Pots age.

There's LOTS of lovely single family homes for sale here in WI that you can pick up for great prices! Then you wouldn't need to worry about anyone above you.

And this is a beautiful state.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">