• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal in Michigan to hold an essay contest to raffle off my home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mecrossett

Subj: Legality of Raffling House by the owner

Can anyone tell me if I could legally raffle off my house in Michigan? I would like to set it up on Yahoo. It would be a raffle asking each applicant to submit an essay in 1,000 words or more why they would like to live in a small town located between Ann Arbor and Lansing, Michigan. I would ask that the submitter include an application fee of $100.00 with each essay along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. I would run the raffle for four weeks. The applicant that I chose must be able to pay yearly taxes of $1800.00, about $500.00 house insurance and allow me 60 days (from a pre-determined date) to relocate. There is nothing wrong with the house. There are no tax liens or problems. I would set up a PO box for the entries. If I do not meet my financial goal that I have set, then I would return everyone' s essay and application fee. If I do meet my goal, then whatever is left over I would contribute to a sports park that is being built for the children in my community. I am absolutely serious with this. It is not a hoax or a scam. Is this legal to do? I would appreciate your answer ASAP. Time is a very important factor for me. Thank you so much for your knowledge. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">