• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hardwood Flooring in Condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uttam1105

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently purchased a condo in Redwood City, California. In my complex, there are other condos with hardwood flooring, but I am not getting permission to place hardwood flooring. Can I charge HOA for discrimination?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently purchased a condo in Redwood City, California. In my complex, there are other condos with hardwood flooring, but I am not getting permission to place hardwood flooring. Can I charge HOA for discrimination?
**A: you have not provided the facts as to why the HOA is not allowing hardwoord flooring. IS it restricted in the design guidelines? What is the IIC rating required? What if the required sound rating is met through the use of proper underlayment?

uttam1105

HOA is pointing to a bylaw that states "Homeowner cannot make any changes that can lead to increase in sound transmission". Then denial letter states "HOA believes flooring changes can lead to increase in noise levels".

HOA have no guidelines related to IIC rating. :( Looks like they have kept it subjective to board director's decision.

I am planning to use laminated wood with rubber underlayment with IIC rating 61 (which is equivalent to 8.5 on the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best results). Mine is townhome style condo with no one staying under or above me and there is garage under my condo.

Some of the condos from the complex have hardwood, some have laminated wood and some have slate flooring.

HomeGuru

HOA is pointing to a bylaw that states "Homeowner cannot make any changes that can lead to increase in sound transmission". Then denial letter states "HOA believes flooring changes can lead to increase in noise levels".

HOA have no guidelines related to IIC rating. :( Looks like they have kept it subjective to board director's decision.

I am planning to use laminated wood with rubber underlayment with IIC rating 61 (which is equivalent to 8.5 on the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best results). Mine is townhome style condo with no one staying under or above me and there is garage under my condo.

Some of the condos from the complex have hardwood, some have laminated wood and some have slate flooring.
**A: I suggest you request another round. The HOA is being overly broad. You may need an attorney to help you.

uttam1105

Thanks a bunch... that worked!!!

I didnt go for attorney, instead I attanded the board meeting and presented them the facts like details of flooring of other condos and specifications of my flooring and they agreed to update bylaw to be more specific and promised to accept my request. :)

HomeGuru

Thanks a bunch... that worked!!!

I didnt go for attorney, instead I attanded the board meeting and presented them the facts like details of flooring of other condos and specifications of my flooring and they agreed to update bylaw to be more specific and promised to accept my request. :)
**A: ok, you're making forward progress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">