• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JTC

My 27 year old son from my first marriage still lives with me in New York. He is an angry young man prone toward mood swings, violent shouting matches in the house with his girlfriend and demonstrated his anger and dislike for me through his verbal abuse. For the last three years he has worked out diligently at the gym lifting weights and he now represents quite the menanacing figure when his explosive temper flairs up.

He has lived with me since 1984 when his mother quite
literally "threw him out of her home" because she could no longer take the hostilaty and shouting that continued almost daily.

Since that time, I have done the best I could to give him a good home. He dropped out of high school, earned a GED, started a two year college program...dropped out and has since resumed his studies in the hope of getting a 4 year
degree.

During all that time,I have since remarried and have an eleven year old daughter, who gets very upset at the loud verbal and almost at times physical altercations that occur between me and her older step-brother.

He has a lucrative job that can net him between $2500-$6000 per week, so being able to live on his own and support himself would not be a hardship.

However, he realizes how good he has it in my home that he refuses to go out on his own even though our confrontations terribly upset my wife and young daughter.

In some regards I feel as if I am being subjected to parental abuse in my own home and am helpless to remove the cause.

At 27 years old, my son is obviously no longer considered a "minor"...so I believe my parental responsibilities and
obligations have all been met.

What recourse,legally if necessary, do I have to remove the source of disruption, tension, confrontational arguements and even the threat of physical violence, which frightens my
daughter the most because her step-brother has an attitude and a very short fuse.

What law enforcement agency in New York could be called upon to physically remove if necessary my son who continues to try to intimidate me in my own home and verbally abuses me in front of my wife and young daughter?

J

JasperT

My heart goes out to you an your new family an if I was you I would take your ex's approach an kick his butt to the curb he is a grown man an his behavior has to stop if he can't respect your rules in YOUR HOUSE then he needs to make his own rules with his own house!!
How would he like it if the tables were turned?? Just a thought.
There are Rules for every one nobody should have to live in fear of anyone they have a name for your sons behavior an it's called DOMESTIC VIOLENCE which WILL only leads to him going to JAIL! Hope he looks good in ORANGE.
I know you love your son but you have done all an more then your share he is just freeloading now . An here is another It won't be easy but he has to learn that there are consequences for those actions of his.
An since he chooses to show you nothing but direspect then I guess he doesn't want to be welcome in your home. "Come by an visit when your attitude shows me the respect I deserve" an if you have to get a restraining order.
I wish you an your family the best an God Bless You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">