• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of Co-op shares after Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just_curious

I own a co-op in westchester county, new york state (city of Yonkers). I bought the co-op with my now ex-wife. Per the agreement in our divorce, I kept the co-op after paying out her fair share. I then moved out of it, and rented it to friends.

Here's the problem. My ex-wife still owns half because the mortgage is still in both of our names.

I tried transferring the mortgage to myself by applying for a "Qualified Assumption" with the originating bank (Chase Bank) and was turned down. Since I don't live there, they consider it an investment property, and they don't refinance co-ops that are investment properties. According to them, there's no other reason I was turned down. Credit score is excellent. Saving is sufficient. We're talking about a $100,000 mortgage balance, not a lot in the NYC area.

If I moved back in, it would switch to my primary residence and be eligible for the transfer.

Here's the question.

Does the fact that we divorced (and now remarried) provide any legal leverage for compelling Chase to grant me a "qualified assumption" of the mortgage despite their policy?

Last edited:

Silverplum

I own a co-op in westchester county, new york state (city of Yonkers). I bought the co-op with my now ex-wife. Per the agreement in our divorce, I kept the co-op after paying out her fair share. I then moved out of it, and rented it to friends.

Here's the problem. My ex-wife still owns half because the mortgage is still in both of our names.

I tried transferring the mortgage to myself by applying for a "Qualified Assumption" with the originating bank (Chase Bank) and was turned down. Since I don't live there, they consider it an investment property, and they don't refinance co-ops that are investment properties. According to them, there's no other reason I was turned down. Credit score is excellent. Saving is sufficient. We're talking about a $100,000 mortgage balance, not a lot in the NYC area.

If I moved back in, it would switch to my primary residence and be eligible for the transfer.

Here's the question.

Does the fact that we divorced (and now remarried) provide any legal leverage for compelling Chase to grant me a "qualified assumption" of the mortgage despite their policy?
No.

The bank is not bound by your divorce decree, or your property settlement.

You Are Guilty

Here's the bigger problem. Whose name the mortgage is in is irrelevant as to who currently owns the property. Whose name are the shares listed in? (Hopefully, you had them transferred into your name alone as part of the divorce settlement).

just_curious

Shares

No shares were transferred. We did the divorce ourselves, so I did not realize that was a possibility, and assumed the mortgage is where the action is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">