• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal expulsion from high school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gdlil99

on march 1,2001, my daughter was asked to transfer out of the high school she had attended for almost 4 years. the school claimed that she had knowledge that other girls were stealing from a store in walt disney world. the 4 girls were in florida for a cheerleading competition. one of the girls was arrested,fingerprinted,and her picture was taken. the other 3 girls were released,with no charges held against them. upon return to school the next tuesday, the 4 girls had in school suspension. wednesday they were suspended from school and on thursday we had a meeting with the vice principal, learning that my daughter was asked to take a transfer or be expelled. my daughter's only involvement in all this was she was at the wrong place at the wrong time. i would also like to say my daughter is an honor student, well liked by her teachers and her peers. she has always been involved in extracurricular activities,such as cheerleading, student gov't,peer couseling, lacrosse, soccer,and choir. my husband and i had no voice in the matter and the principal did not want tohear anything we had to say. do we have any recourse in this matter?

JETX

I find it interesting that you didn't deny that your daughter knew of the stealing. And in order to recommend a possible answer, we need to know SPECIFICALLY what, if any action your daughter took in, or her knowledge of, this 'crime'.

Also, it would be important to know what the 'student handbook' (or district policy) says regarding a student being involved in, or knowledge of, criminal activity while on (what I assume to be) a school sanctioned activity.

Bottom line... if your daughter violated school or district policy and the consequences are expulsion or suspension, your directing your focus (anger?) at the wrong party. Your concern should be about your daughter, not the school. As a HS senior, your concern should be helping your daughter learn maturity, responsibility and accountability for her actions. Don't blame the police for the crime, blame the 'criminal'.
[Flame shield on full alert.. scanners at full range!]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">