• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dementia patient not allowed back into nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackbnimble

New Hampshire

My 80 year old father with dementia was hospitalized briefly (suspiciously) and was subsequently not allowed readmission to his nursing home due to lack of payment, not behavioral issues, etc.

I had warned the facility upon dad's admission last Oct. that payment would be a problem if I could not get dad on Medicaid. Of course there are hold ups with the Medicaid application and the Legal Aid folks I have contacted have not been responsive. I have used all of my resources over the past 3 1/2 years (no payment or income during that time sorting out my folk's horrendous situation). My multi-millionaire sister will do nothing to help but instead is suing me (she is disturbed). She used $30,000 of money court ordered to be used for the care of our parents on lawyers furhtering her agenda. This was the genisis of my folk's money problems.

No "bed hold" was offered by the facility to my father nor me as DPOA.

Is there anything I can do with the "bed hold" issue to force the facility to take them back ?

Anything else I can try ? I have contacted both State of NH Ombudsmen dealing with the elderly and nursing homes, Legal Aid, disability, etc..

Thanks

Antigone*

New Hampshire

My 80 year old father with dementia was hospitalized briefly (suspiciously) and was subsequently not allowed readmission to his nursing home due to lack of payment, not behavioral issues, etc.

I had warned the facility upon dad's admission last Oct. that payment would be a problem if I could not get dad on Medicaid. Of course there are hold ups with the Medicaid application and the Legal Aid folks I have contacted have not been responsive. I have used all of my resources over the past 3 1/2 years (no payment or income during that time sorting out my folk's horrendous situation). My multi-millionaire sister will do nothing to help but instead is suing me (she is disturbed). She used $30,000 of money court ordered to be used for the care of our parents on lawyers furhtering her agenda. This was the genisis of my folk's money problems.

No "bed hold" was offered by the facility to my father nor me as DPOA.

Is there anything I can do with the "bed hold" issue to force the facility to take them back ?

Anything else I can try ? I have contacted both State of NH Ombudsmen dealing with the elderly and nursing homes, Legal Aid, disability, etc..

Thanks
Your best bet is contacting the Ombudsmen to see what they can do to help. As I understand things, the facility does not have to hold a bed unless they are on medicaid, and medicaid pays for that bed hold ~ unless you of course pay for the bed to be held on your own.

Kiawah

What is the hold up with Medicaid?

What information have they asked for, that has not been provided to their satisfaction?

What factors are behind the decision that they may have made as to why your father is not immediately covered? Are you dealing with 5 year lookback and inappropriate gifting?

Are you dealing with spend down period where your father is expected to personally pay until is resources are consummed?

I'd focus efforts on resolving the reasons why the hopeful bill payer (Medicaid) isn't ready to write the checks yet. Nursing homes are 'for profit' organizations, they're not going to do anything for free.

Last edited:

jackbnimble

Thanks for the replies. My car broke down an hour and 45 minutes away last week and it took me days to get back . . .

I have contacted both NH ombudsmen (-mans ?). I had been in contact with them long before dad was kicked out.

As for gettting an estate attorney, 1. I gave on all the info she required and she has not responded to my calls or emails for months. 2. My dad has no money, lawyers want retainers before they don't do anything.

I've dealt with over 40 lawyers over the past 3 years trying to help- my folks. Only about 5 or 6 have helped Several times more hurt, and most did nothing.

The issue here lack of funds and how to get help for someone who saved thousands of lives, and whose work continues to save lives, sonmeone who cannot help himself anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">