• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coop rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lenny Coopowner

Just bought a coop in NYC, was pleasantly surprised to learn that the coop requires me to rerun most of the wiring in the apartment to comply with the code, and strongly recommends using just one company that charges FIVE times as much as any other licensed electrical companies. Can any body tell me if I can fight that? Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

That is a pretty unusual request, so if they want you to comply, they're going to have to properly document why they think they're entitled to compel you to make those repairs. In the meantime, take a look at your proprietary lease and see what it has to say about your repair responsibilities. Generally, most NYC PLs require the co-op to maintain the in-wall wiring, whereas the shareholder is typically only responsible from the outlet outwards.

Lenny Coopowner

Thanks for your response. I have recheck the By-Laws and the occupancy agreement, but did not find any mentioning as of my responsibility regarding in wall wiring and piping, still the management claims that it is my responsibility to upgrade it.

HomeGuru

Thanks for your response. I have recheck the By-Laws and the occupancy agreement, but did not find any mentioning as of my responsibility regarding in wall wiring and piping, still the management claims that it is my responsibility to upgrade it.
**A: they must provide evidence of their claim. Where is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">