• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/repossession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sara Bush

Was divorced 4 years ago. In divorce decree, ex-husband awarded one vehicle, myself the other. I recently (in Feb.) purchased a new vehicle and on my credit report there was a "REPOSSESSION" rating on this. I have been since sued and supoened to court for a pre-trial. The attorney at the pre-trial wants $200 per month for the vehicle that my ex-husband paid on for 3 years and then voluntarily let it be repossessed without my knowledge of any of this. He has also filed bankruptcy so the bank that the loan was with is coming after me. I have no property or anything of value and can barely pay my bills - had to buy the new car and I told them they can take that if they want as I've only made one payment on it. Have a child and am a single mom. The balance due is $3,846.93 and I just simply do not have it. My court date is 4/4/01 and then I expect the court will find judgment against me. I was never offered the vehicle to take over the payments as I would have gladly done that, it was a fairly new vehicle. Please offer any insight that you can. My ex-husband still owns and lives in (with his new wife) a house that my name is on and is worth approximately $100,000. Thank you.

JETX

What does the divorce decree say about the house?? After reading it, you might find that you have a claim to part of the asset value of the house. If so, you might consider 'selling' your portion.

Otherwise, you are probably correct, the lender will probably get a judgment against you. Even though the decree split the property, it has no binding on the lender and his credit agreement with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">