• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued by sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyborcraig

I am being sued by my sister for 2900.00 and I need some advice. She claims three separate amounts of money i owe her. I feel I dont owe her any. First, about a year ago she paid to have my car fixed ($900.00) she had owed me 1400.00 dollars from about 6 years before and said that i didnt have to pay her back. I agreed. I have no proof that she originally owed me that money. The only proof she would have that she paid for my car is the credit card receipt. I'm not denying that she paid for the repairs. I just deny that I have to pay her back. The next thing she claims is a cellular phone bill. SHe let me use a phone that was on her account. I gave her 150.00 to pay my share of the bill only to find out later that she didnt pay it and spent the money on drugs. I immediatly told her that i wouldnt pay anymore and stopped using the phone. Now a few months later she claims i now owe around 500.00. My name is not on the contract anywhere. The third item is a engadgemet ring I bought from her around Christmas. The deal was that after my baby was born and my wife started working again I would pay her something. No amount was stated and no written contract. She just said "whatever, pay me what you want" I have paid her 150.00 on it. I have no receipt. I didnt think I would need one from my sister! In the paperwork I got served with today. She claims That the ring is a 3/4 carot diamond she paid 1800.00 for I had the ring appraised and I had the diamond put in a new setting. It is not 3/4 of a carot its 1/2 and it wasnt worth near that much(about 850.00) She also got my name wrong on the summons. She has my middle initial wrong. I would think it was a typo but its wrong all over the paperwork in her writing. Dont ask me how she forgot my middle name! To top this all off, She has lost temporary custody of her two girls to my parents because of her serious drug problem and her refusal to get treatment. I feel that the reason that she is suing me is because she knows that I will be testifying against her in an upcoming court battle. Until today when I got served, I have heard nothing from her and she has not asked me for any money. My questions are: First If I just say "What Ring?" or "The Ring was a gift" Do I have anything to worry about?. She has no proof that I even have the ring or that she even gave it to me. 2. Can I get the court documents and police records from the custody battle to show the judge in my case that she has severe mental and drug problems? 3. Does her getting my name wrong mean anything or help me in any way? I'm sorry this was so long but this a very strange and confusing incident. I guess it will come down to her word against mine. Will that help me or her? I also found out today from my parents that she told her kids lawyer(I forgot what the court appointed kid lawyer is called) that not only my father but I beat her up a few weeks ago. A complete lie! This has made me so angry that she would do this to people trying to help her, that I am willing to do anything to make sure she doesnt get anything from me! I am in Washington county, Arkansas. HELP, CONFUSED

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">