• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I live in a six unit building in Chicago. Today, I went down to my basement storage unit and discovered that there is someone living in the storage unit next to mine. It is common knowledge that one of the other owners has turned his place into a rooming house (six renters in a three bedroom place), but now he apparently has someone living in his storage space. The man had somehow rigged electricity and was clearly cooking and sleeping in there.

I am completely shocked at this and at the safety and health hazards it poses for the tenant but also for everyone in the building. What if he started a fire???

Is this something to address through the condo board, or through the city?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I live in a six unit building in Chicago. Today, I went down to my basement storage unit and discovered that there is someone living in the storage unit next to mine. It is common knowledge that one of the other owners has turned his place into a rooming house (six renters in a three bedroom place), but now he apparently has someone living in his storage space. The man had somehow rigged electricity and was clearly cooking and sleeping in there.

I am completely shocked at this and at the safety and health hazards it poses for the tenant but also for everyone in the building. What if he started a fire???

Is this something to address through the condo board, or through the city?

**A: apartment unit owner, condo board, management company, city/county building, housing and zoning department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">