• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emploment back ground

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mat

Some time back I messed up, don't want to get into it but i was arrested for burglary, I move on with my life. I did not go to trial becouse my plea was nolo contendre. now I am trying to get a new job, but one thing that is on the application have you ever been convicted of a felony, I was never convicted becouse of my plea. Can they find out if I don't give them that info. and can they do a back ground on me just by filling out an application. and if they want to look in to my back gound felony that is don't i have to give them the O.K.

B

buddy2bear

According to Webster's Dictionary, "nolo contendere is a plea by the defendant in a criminal prosecution that without admitting guilt subjects him to a conviction, but does not preclude him from denying the truth of the charges in a collateral proceeding."

That means you were found guilty of a felony and you have to answer "yes" on the employment application. If you do not answer "yes" with an explanation, then after they do a background check, they will probably fire you for lying on your employment application.

I suggest that you answer "yes" and put down an explanation.

I also think you should call the courthouse where your case was heard and ask them to send you the paperwork to file a petition for expungement of your record. If it has been 3 years, you should be able to expunge it. Fill it out, send it in with the filing fees. Expungement does not mean it "goes away," just that only the Government and the police will be able to see it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">