• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennsuzie

I want to sue a houston public college for libel.
How did this happen ?
I want to know if the college is exempt from suit.
This happened in the fall lf 2000. I had taken a photography class and was allowed to do an assignment anyway i wished. On the last day of class i showed my assignment to the class. My assignment consisted of various prints some of which came from the trash can.
After the presentation the professor said nothing to me.
Then around xmas i recieved a written letter that i would be charged with academic dishonesty because i used the work of another. There was a hearing which consisted of 3 faculty and 4 students. I was found guilty. Recieved and f in the course and suspended from the college.
But there were no witnesses who came forth and claimed any or part of my work as theirs. I did site my source as the trash can but they refused to listen. Basically the college was unable to prove that i copied anybody's work even though i admitted to coping a picture from the trashcan.
I feel as though my reputation has been smeared and i want to know if i can sue this college for libel.

racer72

I would assume the assignment meant that you take the pictures, not using others even if they were found in a trash can. If you took pictures of pictures in the trash can that would be a different story. Did you state at the time of the presentation that the picture were not yours or did you give the impression that you took the pictures? This would hardly be considered libel, you admitted to doing something dishonest and the authorities took what they considered to be appropriate action. This may be something you should take to the schools law school (if they have one) and see if anyone over there would take on this as a case for the experience.

JETX

I agree with Racer in that if you took other students pictures from the trash, and turned them in as your own, then you have no case.

Further, I will offer the following:
"Libel" is a false published statement that injures an individual's reputation (as in business) or otherwise exposes him or her to public contempt.
What false statements were made against you? What injuries did you suffer? Where was the public contempt?

"Slander" is defamation of a person by unprivileged oral communication made to a third party.
How were you defamed? What part of the report was privileged?

"Defamation" is communication to third parties of false statements about a person that injure the reputation of or deter others from associating with that person.
What communication do you claim was given to 3rd parties? What false statements? What injuries do you claim to your reputation.

Sorry, no case in my opinion.

J

jennsuzie

response to racers comment on using photographs from the garbage.

An interesting response racer72.
I did not take the pictures out of the trash can and not return them. What i did was take pictures of some pictures in the trash, then afterwards i put them back. When i say take pictures i laid them out on the ground then i photographed them with a camera. These photographs were disreguarded prints that no one wanted. There is a difference between someone and no one. No one is anonymous while someone is an actual person who can hopefully be identified.
You mentioned that there could be a different situation -tell me what you think that different situation might be i would like to know.
Whoever owns the negatives own the prints.
I am surprised you did not mention anything about public domain or the fairuse doctrines permitted by the supreme court and the copyright laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">