• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coop qtpie

I'm a member in a 32 unit limited equity housing cooperative in NW Washington, DC. There are several members who feel as though the interim (non member elected) Board of Directors' are mismanaging coop funds and abuse of power. We are governed by our House Rules, Occupancy Agreement and ByLaws and members are supposed to vote on the annual budget, the yearly audit and the termination of membership. However, over the last two and a half years 5 people are unilaterally making decisions which are not in the best interest of the coop. According to our Bylaws members can request a meeting with the Board of Directors with a written request signed by three coop members. This has been done on several occassions but the "Board" has refused to meet with us. We have also requested copies, which as members in good standing we have a right to see, copies of the financial statements and have been refused access. Something has to be done with this group of renegade vandals. Nothing they've initiated and attempted to implement is legal, especially since the one serving as Board president is NOT a full fledge member. He's an occupant at best. Therefore, he should not be making any major financial decisions concerning the coop. Things have been a diaster for the last two and a half years. The members who disagree with what has been going on believe like me that outside counsel is needed. We need HELP and fast. Our rights as members have been violated and the continuous harassment I've dealt with because of my opposition to their presence is getting out of control. Something needs to be done ASAP. The managing agent we have is also going along with the nonsense they're doing. It's quite frustrating. Any advice or assistance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HomeGuru

I'm a member in a 32 unit limited equity housing cooperative in NW Washington, DC. There are several members who feel as though the interim (non member elected) Board of Directors' are mismanaging coop funds and abuse of power. We are governed by our House Rules, Occupancy Agreement and ByLaws and members are supposed to vote on the annual budget, the yearly audit and the termination of membership. However, over the last two and a half years 5 people are unilaterally making decisions which are not in the best interest of the coop. According to our Bylaws members can request a meeting with the Board of Directors with a written request signed by three coop members. This has been done on several occassions but the "Board" has refused to meet with us. We have also requested copies, which as members in good standing we have a right to see, copies of the financial statements and have been refused access. Something has to be done with this group of renegade vandals. Nothing they've initiated and attempted to implement is legal, especially since the one serving as Board president is NOT a full fledge member. He's an occupant at best. Therefore, he should not be making any major financial decisions concerning the coop. Things have been a diaster for the last two and a half years. The members who disagree with what has been going on believe like me that outside counsel is needed. We need HELP and fast. Our rights as members have been violated and the continuous harassment I've dealt with because of my opposition to their presence is getting out of control. Something needs to be done ASAP. The managing agent we have is also going along with the nonsense they're doing. It's quite frustrating. Any advice or assistance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
**A: yes, outside counsel is needed like at least 2.5 years ago. Do it already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">