• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims over being bitten by puppy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LyndaJ

Please Help I am in the process of trying to serve someone that I am suing in Calif. I purchased a puppy from her that was mean and aggressive, bit me and sent me to the hospital. The courts have sent a certified letter but she has not signed for it. Trying to physically serve her is not good because she has a fenced yard with locks, cannot get to the front door unless she comes to the fence to open it also has lots of dogs. Please help, what are my other options other than hiring a Process Server who cannot guarantee they will serve her. This is all over a puppy that I returned to her, can I call her and tell her I want the puppy back and then have a friend serve her? This has been going on since October 2000

JETX

Hire a professional Process Server. It is the only way to assure service.

Also, I have to ask... based on your post, the puppy was yours at the time it bit you. Why would the the seller be responsible??? Did they provide you with a 'non-bite guarantee'?? If so, it is unenforcable, since it is assumed that all dogs are capable of biting.

L

LyndaJ

I guess I forgot to mention that I returned the puppy to her Oct 24 2000. She said she would have no problem selling this puppy and would return my money in a few days. Yes her ad for the puppies stated good temperment, raised in loving home. The loving home I do not doubt but the temperment I do. I spoke with two animal behavorialist who both agreed that the dog should go back to the breeder that the liablity of having an aggressive dog was to high. I spoke with process servers and they do not guarantee that they can serve her, but I still have to pay for the service

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">