• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I be sued without being notified of the suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

D_S_W

I've recently discovered through a copy of my credit report that a civil judgement was entered against me a year and a half ago for $2000. But I've never received any notification of this civil suit, let alone the judgement.

Today I called the District Court (in PA) where this suit was filed and asked about it. The woman I spoke with told me that notice of the suit was mailed to the address provided by the plaintiff, which had been a previous address of mine. Additionally, she said that the county sheriff posted a copy of the notice at the premises. The mailed notice was sent by regular mail, and since it was not returned undelivered it was assumed by the court that I received it. But since I did not live there at the time, I didn't receive the mailed notice or see the posted one.

I would have guessed that it's required that lawsuit notifications be sent by certified mail or hand delivered to avoid the exact situation I find myself in. Is that not the case? Is there no legal requirement that a defendant actually be made aware of the suit filed against him?

JETX

PA allows service by mail without receipt, if certified mail was not received. You need to read the PA Civil Procedures for service at:
http://members.aol.com/RulesPA/C.400_430.html

After reading the Civil Procedures, you still feel that service was not properly made, you need to contact the original court and see about getting the judgment voided.

However, I find it interesting that your post doesn't deny that the debt was owed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">