• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakelady2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina- My mom is in a nurshing home, she is now on medicade as well as medicare the facility has said she has an unpaid bill of over $16,000.00 and that my sister and I are responsible for paying this bill. They want us to sign a promisary note to be paid over the next 36 months in the amount of $427.11 or we will have to remove her from the facility, we have stated we will sign one for payment to be made at the time of her death as she has a home and propery that will be sold to pay all her debts. What I want to know is this something that is legal in North Carolina or must we look for a new facility to take mom.

Thanking you in advance for any and all replys.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina- My mom is in a nurshing home, she is now on medicade as well as medicare the facility has said she has an unpaid bill of over $16,000.00 and that my sister and I are responsible for paying this bill. They want us to sign a promisary note to be paid over the next 36 months in the amount of $427.11 or we will have to remove her from the facility, we have stated we will sign one for payment to be made at the time of her death as she has a home and propery that will be sold to pay all her debts. What I want to know is this something that is legal in North Carolina or must we look for a new facility to take mom.

Thanking you in advance for any and all replys.
Why isn't Medicaid paying most, if not all of this bill? That amount of money is about 3 months at a nursing home.

How long has your mother been eligible for Medicare? Did she go directly from a hospital to the nursing home?

Last edited:

lakelady2000

Hi Blondie, thanks for asking.....mom has been in the nurshing home since last July, yes she was sent from the hospital to the rehab part of the facility before going to the nurshing care section, when we applied for medicaid she had a little over $3000.00 in her checking account so they said we had to lower that to under $2000.00 before they would start to pay. All of her social security check goes to the facility at this time.

BlondiePB

Hi Blondie, thanks for asking.....mom has been in the nurshing home since last July, yes she was sent from the hospital to the rehab part of the facility before going to the nurshing care section, when we applied for medicaid she had a little over $3000.00 in her checking account so they said we had to lower that to under $2000.00 before they would start to pay. All of her social security check goes to the facility at this time.
When was medicaid applied for?

Do you or sis have POA both durable & medical?

BlondiePB

no POA as of yet, am working on that now
Thank you.

Under no circumstances sign anything that will make you responsible for mom's bills. Last year, none of my elder kids required nursing home care. If you have mom's 2008 medicare book get it and verify this info paying particular attention to changes in number of days.

When a medicare beneficiary is discharged from a hospital to a nursing home that takes medicare and is a qualified admittance to the nursing home ( mom requiring rehab is a qualified nursing home admittance), Medicare PartA pays 100% for days 1-20.

Days 21-100 have a co-pay for the nursing home resident (mom), only until there is maximum medical improvement (MMI). When MMI is reached anytime between days 21-100, Medicare stops paying the nursing home. However, Medicare PartB pays for physician visits. Ancillaries are not covered either.

Check with Medicaid people to see how far back Medicaid pays for medical stuff from the date of the application. Most state's Medicaid goes back 3 months from the date of the application.

You need to obtain a copy of mom's nursing home bill from the date of her admittance and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

If mom is not competent to sign a POA, petition for guardianship.

Last edited:

lakelady2000

Blondie, thanks so much for all your help I will follow through with your advice. Have a good night, and thanks once again.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">