• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Her from Infecting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Herpes

Stop Her From Infecting

My Fiancee of 3.4 years felt the need to move home to Michigan instead of staying with me in Texas as we had agreed. I have reason to believe she is seeing other people. Would it be slander, defamation or any other legal infraction if I were to tell her friends and family that she has infected me with Herpes Simplex Virus II? She was diagnosed in Feb 94 and didn't tell me until I had an outbreak in Jun 97. She has stated that she has been with at least 16 men since she was diagnosed claiming denial as her defense. I am not doing this out of anger or spite. I am only doing this to protect others that she may come in contact with. I have proof in the form of photos of one of her breakouts and I have an old empty bottle of her Acyclovir medication that is used to treat Herpes. Or, would it be better for me to come forward to her friends and family and let them know that I have HSV II and let them figure it out for themselves as to where I got it? One additional question, can she be held liable for not letting her partners know she is a carrier of the virus? Thank you for your time in this matter.

[Edited by herpes on 03-09-2001 at 02:39 AM]

JETX

Why do you feel the need to tell anyone???? It is not your obligation or job to try to destroy this persons life any more than it probably already is.

And, yes, you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of a potential lawsuit, or at least a good beating!

If you feel that you absolutely must tell someone, call the Health department where she lives and advise them. Then you might just get just the beating!

H

Herpes

Steve, thank you for your response. Of course the story is a lot longer than I can publish, but the essence is... She has the virus and doesn't care who she spreads it to. Her friends are encouraging her to see other people, not knowing that she is infected. If her friends and family knew, she would be less likely to do it. Under the definitions of slander and defamation, it states that it is only unacceptable if it is not true. I don't want to ruin her life. I want her to stop ruining other people's lives. I now have HSV II in the groin area, nose, and mouth. I cannot even kiss my own daughter. HSV II is not reportable under health department regulations. Why should she be allowed to continue spreading this disease? She says she still wants to marry me. We are not broken up. She doesn't know that I know she's seeing other people. I stress again, I'm not after vengence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">