• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a town in Mass. over old excise tax bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Powerman

I recently moved back to the state of Massachusetts, after living in Conn. for several years. The Mass. DMV will not allow me to register my car, because they show outstanding excise tax bills from a town where I have NEVER resided. The bills are from 1988-93, and total nearly $1300 (half of that is interest). The tax assessors office in this town (Longmeadow, MA) only keeps records dating back 3 years, so they can't explain why I was taxed in the first place and can't produce the original vehicle assessments, they just show that I'm "in the computer" as owing excise tax. They claim that I could have garaged my car in their town, even though I didn't reside there. I lived in a neighboring city at the time, and paid excise tax to that city, but I don't have proof and the city doesn't keep records going back that far. Can I take the town to small claims court over the $1300 they say I owe? I'm not allowed to register a car or get a license in Mass. until I clear this up. Please advise. Thank you.

-Powerman

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">