• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Pictures and More

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonnyboy

Detroit Michigan

Hi I recently was married but unfortunately was divorced.

I was asked by my wife to remove the various pictures of her from MY facebook OR else she would call the police :confused:. Some of these pictures also include me in them, I took them with MY camera. They are regular pictures and I am not even saying anything negative about her in them.

Can she make any claim.

I do not want to remove the pictures why should I?

Thanks..

mistoffolees

Detroit Michigan

Hi I recently was married but unfortunately was divorced.

I was asked by my wife to remove the various pictures of her from MY facebook OR else she would call the police :confused:. Some of these pictures also include me in them, I took them with MY camera. They are regular pictures and I am not even saying anything negative about her in them.

Can she make any claim.

I do not want to remove the pictures why should I?

Thanks..
Legally, she can't make you take them down, but please do yourself and everyone else a favor and do so. Surely you must have other pictures with just you in them.

There are plenty of things to fight about in a divorce without creating new ones.

FloridaCase

Thanks to the Berne Convention. At the moment of creation, when the
artwork is "fixed" in some tangible form, copyright applies automatically. For a
photographer, when you press the shutter release you are making a photo
and gaining copyright to that photo at the same time. You don't have to
declare copyright or file any paperwork. It is yours to keep until you explicitly
give it away or you die (copyright expires after you, the duration in the U.S.
is the author's lifetime plus 70 years).

I'm not an Attorney however.. I have worked for many newspapers
and this info is from my notes.

justalayman

Thanks to the Berne Convention. At the moment of creation, when the
artwork is "fixed" in some tangible form, copyright applies automatically. For a
photographer, when you press the shutter release you are making a photo
and gaining copyright to that photo at the same time. You don't have to
declare copyright or file any paperwork. It is yours to keep until you explicitly
give it away or you die (copyright expires after you, the duration in the U.S.
is the author's lifetime plus 70 years).

I'm not an Attorney however.. I have worked for many newspapers
and this info is from my notes.
since you seem to be speaking in much grander terms than really needed in this situation, I would suggest you also include the possibility of the need for a models release if using the picture in a commercial use. While a photographer may own the copyrights to all of their pictures (barring of course; work for hire), the subject of the picture also has rights that the copyright does not remove.

I would also include the fact that registering the copyrights does afford the holder more actions via the courts, if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">