• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - Residency requirement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jilted-FLA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

my spouse and I live abroad for the USG. We are both registered in Florida - voter ID, taxes, driver's licenses, etc. Our bank accounts are with a florida bank. all of our mail is sent to one of our parent's addresses in florida (this is the same address we list on all of our ID's, contracts, banks, etc.) It is our state of domicile. Prior to moving abroad we lived in Florida, owned a house, etc. We were married in Florida. Children born in Florida.

We are returning to separate and I am filing for a divorce. The divorce is uncontested and everything has been agreed to.

My question is how does the 6 month residency requirement play into this? I have been told that it is not an issue since we still use Florida as our residency address and state. But I was just told by my spouse that she was told that one of us must actually physically live in Florida for 6 months prior to divorce...

HELP?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

my spouse and I live abroad for the USG. We are both registered in Florida - voter ID, taxes, driver's licenses, etc. Our bank accounts are with a florida bank. all of our mail is sent to one of our parent's addresses in florida (this is the same address we list on all of our ID's, contracts, banks, etc.) It is our state of domicile. Prior to moving abroad we lived in Florida, owned a house, etc. We were married in Florida. Children born in Florida.

We are returning to separate and I am filing for a divorce. The divorce is uncontested and everything has been agreed to.

My question is how does the 6 month residency requirement play into this? I have been told that it is not an issue since we still use Florida as our residency address and state. But I was just told by my spouse that she was told that one of us must actually physically live in Florida for 6 months prior to divorce...

HELP?
I believe that you would still be considered to be residents of FL. It is similar to military residency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">