• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to file small claims don't know how

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristi56

I have many bills from my Ex-Boyfriend(my sons father) he left me with a 2000 dollar pphone bill, 400 dollars in court costs, 200 dollars with filing fees to get him to leave me alone after 3 years, and missed work. Not to mention the loss of hair from stress. I want to take him to small claims for all the debt he left me that I have proof I didn't make but we are in 2 differant states. I can't file here in Colorado because he hasen't lived here in 2 years. I can't file in INdiana where he is because I don't have the time or money to go there to do it. What can I do? Please help. As he is getting ready for round two of dragging me through the dirt finacially and Emotionaly.
Thanks.

racer72

Unfortunately, you will have to sue in Indiana. You can obtain a no contact order for him in Colorado. This will prevent him from contacting you as long as you are in Colorado. If he violates the order he will be subject to arrest if he ever comes to Colorado. Doesn't sound like much but that is about all you can do while he is in another state. Plus the no contact order cannot go against any court ordered visitation for the child either.

K

Kristi56

Well as far as no contact I had one going and was 3 min late for my court date due to drastic weather there for the Magistrate dismissed 12 out of 13 cases because we were all late. There is a restraing order against myself which he filled as soon as I started mine. His went through and now he is calling and harrassing me again. Can I do anything aboiut this? As far as visitation there is none. He tried he failed he is about to try again with another court in another state. He was denied all visitation/custody/rights at all the last time he tried in IN... Now he is comiong here. He has a background of violence so he will not ever get anything more then supervised which will be difficute being in a differnt State. Thats another note though. Do you know of any where to call of who I may call to be able to possible do this through mail as Colorado allows? Thanks a bunch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">