• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights forsome to gain access to your ex-employer check stubs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

florianpiper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Was wondering if it was illegal for a lawyer (without a judges signature) to request pat stub and reviews documents from an employer for the other party?

Basically, my brother's ex-wife's lawyer sent a letter to my brother's ex-employer to obtain all of his paystubs and reviews from the last nine years. Can they do that without having a judge approve that?

Can my brother sue the ex-employer for providing such personal information to just anyone?

Thankyou:eek:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Was wondering if it was illegal for a lawyer (without a judges signature) to request pat stub and reviews documents from an employer for the other party?

Basically, my brother's ex-wife's lawyer sent a letter to my brother's ex-employer to obtain all of his paystubs and reviews from the last nine years. Can they do that without having a judge approve that?

Can my brother sue the ex-employer for providing such personal information to just anyone?

Thankyou:eek:
IF this was any of your business, you would know what sort of "letter" or piece of paper was in play.

You don't know what it is, what it says, who signed it -- what's the point of even asking the question? Waste of advisors' time. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
An attorney is an "Officer of the Court". He is allowed to make requests such as this.

As you were advised: MYOBr

mistoffolees

An attorney is an "Officer of the Court". He is allowed to make requests such as this.

As you were advised: MYOBr
Although it's none of OP's business, just to clarify for anyone else:

The attorney CAN make requests like this. If the relevant party thinks that the request is unjustified, they can appeal to the judge presiding over the case to have the subpoena quashed. If OP's brother didn't do that, it's no one's fault but his own. If OP's brother DID try and the court allowed the subpoena to proceed, then there's no issue.

Frankly, 9 years of pay stubs AND performance reviews sounds fairly long. If that had happened to me, even though I had nothing to hide, I would have objected to that and asked for a more reasonable period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">