• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce has lasted too long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mel40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in a small town in Kansas. My wife and I decided to end our 9 year marriage 17 months ago. We are in our late 60's. We agreed it would be amicable...that was before she got an attorney. He's a pit bull, friendly with the judge....my attorney barely defended me and never presented an offense. I just fired him. He wouldn't respond to my emails (said he'd have to charge me $60 - $70 each time and didn't think I could afford it). I had also requested that he make arrangements to satisfy the judge's orders which he did not do. I am nearly broke, my ex is coming this weekend to take the tub faucet and light fixtures out of my house. This seems unbelieveable to me. We didn't have a bad marriage at all. I never even raised my voice to her. It seems to me that she quit taking medications that were necessary to her mental health...it was downhill from there. I don't know what to do. The debt is more than I can handle. Can a person represent themselves? Can I report my attorney to the state? How can I make this end? Her attorney is milking this for all he can get. I need help!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in a small town in Kansas. My wife and I decided to end our 9 year marriage 17 months ago. We are in our late 60's. We agreed it would be amicable...that was before she got an attorney. He's a pit bull, friendly with the judge....my attorney barely defended me and never presented an offense. I just fired him. He wouldn't respond to my emails (said he'd have to charge me $60 - $70 each time and didn't think I could afford it). I had also requested that he make arrangements to satisfy the judge's orders which he did not do. I am nearly broke, my ex is coming this weekend to take the tub faucet and light fixtures out of my house. This seems unbelieveable to me. We didn't have a bad marriage at all. I never even raised my voice to her. It seems to me that she quit taking medications that were necessary to her mental health...it was downhill from there. I don't know what to do. The debt is more than I can handle. Can a person represent themselves? Can I report my attorney to the state? How can I make this end? Her attorney is milking this for all he can get. I need help!
$60-70 per call is not that unusual. If your attorney charges $360 per hour and has a minimum 10 minute charge, that's $60. Many attorneys have an even higher minimum.

You are certainly free to represent yourself, but against someone you describe as a "pit bull", you may cost yourself far more than the attorney would charge.

The tub and light fixtures are part of the house and can not be removed unless the court specifically told her she could. If the court order says you have possession of the house, you don't have to let her in. If you don't have a court order covering possession of the house, that needs to be straightened out first (or, you can sue her afterwards if you get the house and all the lights and tubs are gone).

Mel40

The $60 - $70 was just to reply to emails....sometimes either "yes" or "no". Is that justifiable for a small-town Kansas attorney?

The judge granted the tub faucet and lights to my ex even though he granted me the house. She wants them purely for revenge....the faucet fits a claw foot tub with a 7" spread....very rare. She won't be able to use it but...

I've had two people tell me they saw the judge talking with my ex. There is no way of knowing the conversation but it does seem inappropriate.

Can an attorney keep a case going indefinitely?

Thank you for your help.

Bali Hai

The $60 - $70 was just to reply to emails....sometimes either "yes" or "no". Is that justifiable for a small-town Kansas attorney?

The judge granted the tub faucet and lights to my ex even though he granted me the house. She wants them purely for revenge....the faucet fits a claw foot tub with a 7" spread....very rare. She won't be able to use it but...

I've had two people tell me they saw the judge talking with my ex. There is no way of knowing the conversation but it does seem inappropriate.

Thank you for your help.
I'm curious as to why a person at your age would have stuck their neck out and married in the first place.

You aren't the first man to be put through the ringer by the divorce process and you won't be the last.

Your case will likely go on until they are satisfied they have rung out everything they want from you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Most attorneys have a minimum fee that corresponds to 10 or 15 minute increments of time. So whether you call him and he says yes, he reads your email and says no, you walk into the office for him to say one or the other - you will be charged his minimum fee. If it's 5 minutes, you pay for 10 (or 15). If it's 11 minutes, you pay for 20 or 30. It makes more sense to hold your questions so you can get the most bang for your buck, vs contacting him for every tiny thing.

And if she's been awarded the faucet, etc? The reasons don't matter - she gets them.

mistoffolees

Thank you for your help.
If the judge granted the tub faucet and lights, then you don't have a grip. It's a court order and you have to obey.

Just because the judge talked with your ex doesn't mean it's inappropriate.

As you've been told, most attorneys have a minimum charge. When you call them, they have to drop what they're doing, take notes, and possibly take some action. Most attorneys simply deal with this by having a minimum charge of 10-15 minutes - and your charge is well within that range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">