• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Association Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curve100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My condo association has a strong dislike for renters. Unfortunately it is only a 16 unit building, therefore renters stick out like a sore thumb. Right now the condo rules mandate that only 2 of the units can be rentals, and mine is one.

The association was formed less than a year ago, and this is the first time that I am taking on a renter under the new rules.

The rules and regs state that the association has the final say so over renters, and that they need a 30 day notice. I was outvoted when the rules were passed, and I'm wondering if these rules are even legal?

Also, on what grounds can they reject a prospective renter? As far as I know, they do not have any guidelines in place. The lady I want to rent to has horrible credit, but she came highly recommended by her previous landlord. Also, she makes enough to be able to afford my rent. She filed bankruptcy some years back. Are they allowed to reject her based on credit?
The other thing that annoys me is the 30 day notice. Anyone with rentals knows that this is not always possible. They harassed my last tenant to the point which she broke her lease and moved out, which is why I am now in this situation.

Any advice would help. Thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My condo association has a strong dislike for renters. Unfortunately it is only a 16 unit building, therefore renters stick out like a sore thumb. Right now the condo rules mandate that only 2 of the units can be rentals, and mine is one.

The association was formed less than a year ago, and this is the first time that I am taking on a renter under the new rules.

The rules and regs state that the association has the final say so over renters, and that they need a 30 day notice. I was outvoted when the rules were passed, and I'm wondering if these rules are even legal?

Also, on what grounds can they reject a prospective renter? As far as I know, they do not have any guidelines in place. The lady I want to rent to has horrible credit, but she came highly recommended by her previous landlord. Also, she makes enough to be able to afford my rent. She filed bankruptcy some years back. Are they allowed to reject her based on credit?
The other thing that annoys me is the 30 day notice. Anyone with rentals knows that this is not always possible. They harassed my last tenant to the point which she broke her lease and moved out, which is why I am now in this situation.

Any advice would help. Thanks.
**A: demand answers to the questions from the Board and the HOA legal coundel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">