• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finalizing divorce-techniques for serving the Summons...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blazin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

So here's the deal: 13 months ago the ex moved out. In MD there is a 12 month waiting period to file divorce paperwork. I waited the 12 months, filed, and I got the Summons for her in the mail...next step was for me to serve her with the Summons, no problem, right? Well, A) I suspect she went back to live with her sis (which is a few states away), but I have no proof of that and B) she's difficult. I sent the Summons to her sis's house, with the return receipt so I can prove she was summoned. The PO left a notice on her door which said she has 15 days to pick it up. 11 days have gone by and she still hasn't picked it up, so I called her (her and I have not spoken a word to each other since the day she moved out) and left a message saying "Please give me a call, I want to talk about the divorce paperwork". No call back.

The million dollar question: how can I serve her with the paperwork if she doesn't pick it up from the PO? Is there an internet search I can use to find out where she lives? Can I hire someone local (i.e. a PI) to serve her the papers? I really didn't want this divorce to be a feeding frenzy for lawyers who need to make their next Porsche payment...

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

So here's the deal: 13 months ago the ex moved out. In MD there is a 12 month waiting period to file divorce paperwork. I waited the 12 months, filed, and I got the Summons for her in the mail...next step was for me to serve her with the Summons, no problem, right? Well, A) I suspect she went back to live with her sis (which is a few states away), but I have no proof of that and B) she's difficult. I sent the Summons to her sis's house, with the return receipt so I can prove she was summoned. The PO left a notice on her door which said she has 15 days to pick it up. 11 days have gone by and she still hasn't picked it up, so I called her (her and I have not spoken a word to each other since the day she moved out) and left a message saying "Please give me a call, I want to talk about the divorce paperwork". No call back.

The million dollar question: how can I serve her with the paperwork if she doesn't pick it up from the PO? Is there an internet search I can use to find out where she lives? Can I hire someone local (i.e. a PI) to serve her the papers? I really didn't want this divorce to be a feeding frenzy for lawyers who need to make their next Porsche payment...
You can hire someone to serve the papers in the other state. Or you can hire an attorney to file for divorce by publication if you really don't know where stbx is. I would try the former first and if stbx isn't there, then try the latter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well since I need to make my next Porsche payment, i won't give you the options you could do which wouldn't cost you much if anything. :rolleyes:

Blazin

Well since I need to make my next Porsche payment, i won't give you the options you could do which wouldn't cost you much if anything. :rolleyes:
I apologize for my words. I should have been more tactful in saying I want this divorce to be done as cheaply as possible.

Blazin

I ended up doing a bit more research and found a Process Server in her area to take care of serving the Summons.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I ended up doing a bit more research and found a Process Server in her area to take care of serving the Summons.
That is nice but you didn't need to go that step. You could have just shown that she refused to pick up the certified mail (hence refused service/avoided service) wrote and filed an affidavit to that affect and then had her served by regular US mail. Maryland rules of civil procedure allow for that type of service.

Blazin

That is nice but you didn't need to go that step. You could have just shown that she refused to pick up the certified mail (hence refused service/avoided service) wrote and filed an affidavit to that affect and then had her served by regular US mail. Maryland rules of civil procedure allow for that type of service.
You are too kind. Thanks for the advice.

mistoffolees

How are you going to keep making your Porsche payments if you give away free advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">