• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

green card divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesfaye123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I am a US citizen married to an Ethiopian national. I filed an I 129-f for her to come to USA. We had a very unstable relationship the whole time and I told her it is better if we didn’t get married. She promised things will change for the better and they did. Just weeks before her 90 days expired she was pregnant. She was on a birth control pill. I was so happy about the pregnancy. I married her in May 2008. We had a baby girl in Feb 2009. Now she says she has her permanent Green card (the baby) and she wants a divorce/separation. Now I know she planned everything. I am in the US Navy and I didn’t have the time I need to deal with the legalities of divorce. I really appreciate any help in dealing with this mess.

r/

Alemu

logi1

I am not an immigration attorney but if you can prove that she planned all of this from the get-go it is called fraud and reason for deportation with no chance to return back to the US soil. But again you might lose your chance to see your newborn baby as courts tend to give custody of infant/toddler stage children mostly to the mom.

LdiJ

I am not an immigration attorney but if you can prove that she planned all of this from the get-go it is called fraud and reason for deportation with no chance to return back to the US soil. But again you might lose your chance to see your newborn baby as courts tend to give custody of infant/toddler stage children mostly to the mom.
He doesn't want to do that. While I don't think that the risk would be great, he still doesn't want to risk the child leaving with mom, AND its in the best interest of his child to have the mother in the child's life.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I am a US citizen married to an Ethiopian national. I filed an I 129-f for her to come to USA. We had a very unstable relationship the whole time and I told her it is better if we didn’t get married. She promised things will change for the better and they did. Just weeks before her 90 days expired she was pregnant. She was on a birth control pill. I was so happy about the pregnancy. I married her in May 2008. We had a baby girl in Feb 2009. Now she says she has her permanent Green card (the baby) and she wants a divorce/separation. Now I know she planned everything. I am in the US Navy and I didn’t have the time I need to deal with the legalities of divorce. I really appreciate any help in dealing with this mess.

r/

Alemu
Before we go any further...

The baby is not her green card. Has your wife actually obtained residency, whether it's conditional or not? Have you filed (usually - but not always, apparently - part of the fiancee visa package) the I-864 "affidavit of support"?

To the poster below OP:

Very generally speaking, a baby tends to counter any accusation of a fraudulent marriage; but if OP does have any solid evidence of fraud it might certainly help. It's not a given though.

OP, you absolutely NEED to make time for this. Frankly, you NEED an attorney - and one who is familiar with both family and immigration law.

IF you did file that Affidavit of Support, the financial ramifications (assuming your wife doesn't wish to return to her home country) for you can be massive and very long-standing...and that's not even touching on the custody and child support issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">