• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sourgrapes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Do you i have to pay spousal support if i was only married for 5 years in the state of CA? My wife has not worked for this period of time. how many years will i pay spouse support?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Do you i have to pay spousal support if i was only married for 5 years in the state of CA? My wife has not worked for this period of time. how many years will i pay spouse support?
There are a lot of factors. How much you make. How much your wife could be making. Etc.

In general, in CA, when alimony is awarded, it typically runs about 1/2 the length of the marriage. So if circumstances are such that you end up paying alimony, it will likely be 2-3 years.

Sourgrapes

I also live w/ my wife. If i were to leave the apartment that we share and get out of the lease, am i still obligated to pay for the rent?

LdiJ

I also live w/ my wife. If i were to leave the apartment that we share and get out of the lease, am i still obligated to pay for the rent?
CA law allows for spousal support for 1/2 of the length of the marriage. Therefore its possible that you could be on the hook for 2 1/2 years of spousal support, but that's not guaranteed.

Of course you are still obligated under the lease to pay the rent until the lease ends. Your landlord is not a party to your marital issues or divorce. If you don't pay the rent, and she cannot or will not, you will tank your credit and the landlord will sue you.

Sourgrapes

I do not owe any properties. The major items my wife and I have acquire are a Toyota truck which we bought at 15k and time share worth 10k. Who gets to keep these items? How are things typically divided?

LdiJ

I do not owe any properties. The major items my wife and I have acquire are a Toyota truck which we bought at 15k and time share worth 10k. Who gets to keep these items? How are things typically divided?
The person who gets to keep those items are the person who is either willing to refinance the loans for those items, or the person who is willing to pay the other 1/2 of the value of the items if there are no loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">